Named Models ???

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
geoffb-63

Named Models ???

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi, i suppose being classed as somewhat of a newbie, i am interested to know why AJS was reluctant to give their motorcycles names, unlike most other marque`s around at the time, being a keen motorcyclist in the 60`s and 70`s, i found other makes with names used to stir up a desire to own one, to be quite honest, not that i considered AJS to be a bad machine it just didn`t get the pulse racing at the thought of owning one, therefore, at that time is was always Triumph/Bsa/Norton etc, i do see that in 1962 however, they decided to start putting names to their machines, was this an attempt to compete with other manufacturers, or a last ditch attempt to boost business before they closed down, how long did these names stay??? one year 2 years etc, obviously, today you never hear these names mentioned or see them advertised, for me personally, i would have much more been interested in a named machine back in the 60`s,
Rob Harknett

Re: Named Models ???

Post by Rob Harknett »

I believe the public had the main say as to what bikes were referred to. Years ago AJS owners would say they had a " big port " this was neither the bikes name or model, just a nick name. A certain Velocette much used by police got nick named a " Noddy " bike. You also had Goldie, Tiger, Bezzer etc