Clutch cable

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
leswaller

Re: Clutch cable

Post by leswaller »

I use J & J as they are only about 6 miles away from me and I can just turn up with the old cable from whatever make of bike and say "can I have one of these" and they make it whilst I wait.
I know from previous conversations with them that they will not supply multiple quantities, as they say that they have discovered that people sell them on. As J & J sell at the shows they think that people buying multiple quantities to sell on take away their business. Small minded I know, but their prerogative, and as I only buy cables as I need them it doesn't bother me.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Flash

Post by Flash »

There's only two reason I like making my own cables up, the first, I bought one ready made which did not fit correctly, also it had a moulded nipple on the end so I finished up putting a proper nipple on. Looking at the lengths by what Rob gave me, there are two different lengths anyway, so I may just not bother with lengths, I'll put a nipple on the clutch end then bring it up to the lever and do it that way, it should be more accurate.

Regards John.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

leswaller wrote:I use J & J as they are only about 6 miles away from me and I can just turn up with the old cable from whatever make of bike and say "can I have one of these" and they make it whilst I wait.
I know from previous conversations with them that they will not supply multiple quantities, as they say that they have discovered that people sell them on. As J & J sell at the shows they think that people buying multiple quantities to sell on take away their business. Small minded I know, but their prerogative, and as I only buy cables as I need them it doesn't bother me.
That seems very odd Les, as the feud with the clubs was because the club stopped buying multiple quantities from them. How can buying one or more from them at their price be taking away business ?? Quite the opposite. I was refused a batch of 20, which another supplier made instead. All wrapped up in one order instead of 20 people placing an order. Having first got details from my original cable. The cable fitted only the Burman mod. H gear box used on AJS & Matchless. circa 1934 to 1937. I also had the Burman speedo drive gears made, without which the cables are no use. The drive gears easily got lost, as it was the cable that held them in place, in the gear box.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Maybe they think quantities bought by the club for resale is a different thing to individuals buying them for resale. One they see as the legitimate supply to a club and the other as individuals taking their business. Next time I go I will gently ask the question.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:
leswaller wrote:I use J & J as they are only about 6 miles away from me and I can just turn up with the old cable from whatever make of bike and say "can I have one of these" and they make it whilst I wait.
That seems very odd Les, as the feud with the clubs was because the club stopped buying multiple quantities from them. How can buying one or more from them at their price be taking away business ?? Quite the opposite. I was refused a batch of 20, which another supplier made instead. All wrapped up in one order instead of 20 people placing an order. Having first got details from my original cable. The cable fitted only the Burman mod. H gear box used on AJS & Matchless. circa 1934 to 1937. I also had the Burman speedo drive gears made, without which the cables are no use. The drive gears easily got lost, as it was the cable that held them in place, in the gear box.
Not so Rob. The feud started with an article printed by Chris Read written by Andre Heal regarding the quality of JJ cables. Accusations of using thinner than standard inner wire etc etc. It got back to the owners and then they refused to sell any more cables via the spares dept. All ancient history now. As far as cables are concerned I always make my own and use JJ cables universal nylon lined kits, very good they are too.
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Having read this with interest and wanting to make my own ..... Just because I want to learn .... Where do you guys get your raw materials (inner/outer etc.)? When I've looked in the past, you've had to buy quite a quantity making it expensive in the short term, but I couldn't find many suppliers.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Flash wrote:There's only two reason I like making my own cables up, the first, I bought one ready made which did not fit correctly, also it had a moulded nipple on the end so I finished up putting a proper nipple on. Looking at the lengths by what Rob gave me, there are two different lengths anyway, so I may just not bother with lengths, I'll put a nipple on the clutch end then bring it up to the lever and do it that way, it should be more accurate.

Regards John.
I also had issues with cables using moulded solder nipple on the cable end. I think that the reason for this method of manufacture is to significantly reduce production cost of the part, hence the reason that I buy my cables either from AMC Classic Spares or if Steve is out of stock, from J&J. The moulded end nipples are nothing like as tough as a correctly soldered on brass nipple, also the quality of the adjusters on the cables is far better than those fitted by other manufacturers.

Regarding the supply to the club spares by J&J, I think it is a great shame that there is still reluctance to supply the club spares scheme as a good relationship with all suppliers is going to be of ever greater importance with the closing down of Andrews Engineering, a significant supplier of so many AMC parts. It is interesting that a simple question regarding cables has highlighted the importance of the clubs relationships with their preferred suppliers. Lots of generic reproduction parts that are common to other makes are produced in India and Asia and whilst the quality be less than one would like, often it is the only practical option to use these parts. The real challenge for the future will be the supply of many AMC specific parts. There is a need for the correct technical drawing data, (possibly CAD 3d files), and material specifications to be provided to the manufacturer allied to the willingness of the supplier to produce possibly very small batch quantities at acceptable cost. Just a quick look at the Andrews Engineering parts listings will give some idea of the scope of the challenge.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

leswaller wrote:Maybe they think quantities bought by the club for resale is a different thing to individuals buying them for resale. One they see as the legitimate supply to a club and the other as individuals taking their business. Next time I go I will gently ask the question.
May be a good idea Les, to lay this feud to rest.
I must however say. I wanted a cable, I found 20 people wanting the same speedo cable , not JJ. How can finding 20 customers be taking their business. If I asked my contacts I could probably now sell another 20. Even though the company was based in New Zealand, it only took one e mail with details of the cable wanted in the form of a rough drawing. I quickly received a reply with a quote.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Triumph-Legend wrote: There is a need for the correct technical drawing data, (possibly CAD 3d files), and material specifications to be provided to the manufacturer allied to the willingness of the supplier to produce possibly very small batch quantities at acceptable cost. Just a quick look at the Andrews Engineering parts listings will give some idea of the scope of the challenge.
You are right, but who is going to produce these drawings and specifications that can then be provided to manufacturers who are willing and able to produce the parts?
McBob

Post by McBob »

Is there a way to identify nylon lined cables or unlined cables?