New duffer member

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
sjr

Re: New duffer member

Post by sjr »

MalcW wrote:Hi Alan

That's a useful tip, I'll give it a go. I must admit I also find getting my Model 31 onto the centre stand a right pain, literally and medically. I don't recall it being so awkward the first time round, but then I was younger and fitter then,and I haven't had this bike long so I am out of practise. I saw an advert for a Model 31 for sale a day or two ago where the centre stand had been modified by the addition of a modified surplus brake lever to give more leverage.

On a separate stand related matter, should the side stand flick up when the weight is taken off it, or stay down? I'm sure my old one stayed down, but this one doesn't.

Malc
Yes Malc, its my bike (and its still for sale). I'll take some pictures of the mod and post them later.
This design with a footbrake lever has further advantages in my view
- it presents a flat surface for the foot to stand on so is much more comfortable than the often used ball-ended lever
- it is not prone to grounding out on left handers since it reaches back from the stand rather than outwards as in the case of the ball ended design.
- it looks like the brake lever when stowed and does not disturb the aesthetics of the bike (opinion)
A skilful friend helped me to weld the pedal onto the stand and forge it to the required shape. We have done several of them. I only use knackered brake pedals (but with reasonable looking foot pads) so I'm not depleting the stock of usable spares. On a single (or siamesed twin), the pedal stows neatly into the gap behind the brake pedal pivot. On a 2-pipe twin it has to come out a bit further to clear the silencer but still looks neat, in my view.
Steve
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi

Some useful information about the prop stand, many thanks. Steve, thanks for the info re. the centre stand; I'll look forward to seeing the photos. And I hope you sell your bike soon.

cheers,

Malc
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

surprisingly tyre size has alot to do with effort required, my bitsa had a bloody great 400x19 rear Avon universal 'orrible but the thing just breezed up onto the centre stand changed to a 100/90 19 by Goldentyre and the amount of greater effort to get it on the centre stand is considerable!.
mind you it does handle now
kind regards
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Another option is to carry a suitable thickness lump of wood. Run one wheel or other up onto wood; pull bike onto centrestand; kick lump of wood out.

Doesn't look very professional though...

Malc
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

GOLDSTAR wrote:surprisingly tyre size has alot to do with effort required, my bitsa had a bloody great 400x19 rear Avon universal 'orrible but the thing just breezed up onto the centre stand changed to a 100/90 19 by Goldentyre and the amount of greater effort to get it on the centre stand is considerable!.
mind you it does handle now
kind regards
Totally agree Richard. I have a 1960 BMW R60 and the only tyres I could find were Metzelers which have a lower profile than the originals and make it impossible to get it on the centre stand. My solution is to use the prop stand when out and about and when garaging, run the rear wheel on to a piece of 1" board and it then goes on to the centre stand ok.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

MalcW wrote:Another option is to carry a suitable thickness lump of wood. Run one wheel or other up onto wood; pull bike onto centrestand; kick lump of wood out.

Doesn't look very professional though...

Malc
........ and unnecessary too :)
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: