New duffer member

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

Re: New duffer member

Post by MalcW »

Hi Alan

That's a useful tip, I'll give it a go. I must admit I also find getting my Model 31 onto the centre stand a right pain, literally and medically. I don't recall it being so awkward the first time round, but then I was younger and fitter then,and I haven't had this bike long so I am out of practise. I saw an advert for a Model 31 for sale a day or two ago where the centre stand had been modified by the addition of a modified surplus brake lever to give more leverage.

On a separate stand related matter, should the side stand flick up when the weight is taken off it, or stay down? I'm sure my old one stayed down, but this one doesn't.

Malc
Groily

Post by Groily »

On the 'separate matter', I think I'm right in saying that the side stand will do either, depending on which of two holes the 'far end' of the spring is located in on the bottom right side of the frame. Some prefer auto-retraction, others not. The holes aren't always easy to see if paint has been applied, or in my cases road dirt and slime, but I think they will be there somewhere.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Thanks again Groily. Thinking about it, it might be easier if you just pop along to Roscoff, get the boat over to Plymouth, then nip up to Exmouth and sort my bike out direct. Save you answering all my questions... :)

Malc
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Groily is correct... There are two holes in the bottom rail that the spring can be hooked in to. The front one, just rearward of the 'flattened' section that the front stud goes through , is the one to use if you want the stand to stay down. The rearward of the two holes can be used if you want the stand to retract when the weight is taken off it. You may have to use a mirror to locate it... I had to :(
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.

Post by 1608 »

The bikes are much easier lifted onto the centre stand if more effort is put into pulling the bike backwards and onto the stand rather than trying to lift. This is well demonstrated on a piece of period film ( believe youtube) where one man's job is to move and store the bikes as they come off a production line. Doing it all day he obviously found the knack.The simplest way of overcoming this problem at home is to run the front wheel up a small ramp, lower the stand and let the bike roll back onto the stand. When away use the side stand. Have somebody weld a simple tang onto the s/stand to help with locating it with ya boots .
Whether or not the side stand automatically retracts or stays down is a matter of choice. But, a word of warning, can be very dangerous if the side stand is forgotten and left in the down position when riding. A life was lost on the IOM TT because of this when I was there couple of years ago.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As John ( '1608') said.......
CIMG4386 (640x480).jpg
Prop stand 2016-04-20 002 (480x360).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I must be lucky with my Model 31 as I can still swing it up on the centre stand. My problem is getting off the bike when there isn't a Keri around😂
Smithymc

Post by Smithymc »

Some great suggestions here to try. Mine has the side stand set on 'automatic
' too, which I can't say I'm keen on, but probably safer with a 'boot lug' added.

Thanks all

Mark
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

On the subject of the spring holes, I have only evert found that the pre-drilled holes will give you a retracting side stand no matter how you try to use the holes, the spring hook is roughly central to the windings at best you could get half an inch of positional movement (if any) this would not be enough to make a significant difference.

If you want the stand to reliably stay down the spring needs mounting a lot further forward. On my single I have a drilled oversize washer on the engine bolts for the spring to hook into, neater arrangements are available.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've always had my side stand flick up. It gives me the willies to think of the consequences of riding off with it down.
When I first had my modern bike I nearly missed a ferry whilst faffing about replacing the plug, checking fuel supply and twiddling wires ...........with the side-stand down.
Another time, same thing, even trying to bump start it to board the ferry having inadvertently knocked the 'Kill' button on.
On both occasions an unknown biker in the queue pointed out my error. :oops:
Modern bikes are too clever by half.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'