MOT Test

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
thornebt

MOT Test

Post by thornebt »

Most of our bikes are probably MOT exempt but I learnt something today about MOT tests that some people might not realise. If you take your vehicle for a test prior to the expiry of the current MOT and it fails then the existing MOT ceases to be valid from the date of the new failure. I was always under the impression that it was worth getting it done up to a month early as in the event of a failure it gave you some leaway to fix it before the old MOT expired. I must have been driving illegally, albeit briefly, quite a lot over the years.

This information came from this months EACC (East Anglian Cyclemotor Club) magazine. It's certainly worth bearing in mind in view of the many traffic cameras that are around these days.

Cheers. Bruce.
LynP

Re: MOT Test

Post by LynP »

Interesting, so if you take a vehicle for MOT and it fails does this mean you are in the difficult position that you either have to leave it at the garage for repair or drive it home illegally to fix yourself?
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

LynP wrote:Interesting, so if you take a vehicle for MOT and it fails does this mean you are in the difficult position that you either have to leave it at the garage for repair or drive it home illegally to fix yourself?
No you can take the vehicle (ride or drive) to a place of repair. Except in the case of a prohibition, however the prohibition may have a "variation" allowing you to drive/ride under certain restrictions.

Despite earning my living from this stuff I'm not certain that the MoT expires when you fail the next test. But you can certainly be prosecuted for knowingly driving a defective vehicle after a failure.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I had a quick look online and according to...

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... t-expired/

...it seems that the situation changed in February 2016 and your original MOT does remain valid, although this might be only to drive the vehicle home, it's not completely clear!

Quote:-

Some drivers put their car in for an MOT early to find out if any faults need repairing, mistakenly thinking they can use the vehicle until the old test runs out.

A lot of speculation exists around the topic online, with a number of sites claiming that drivers are within their rights to continue using a car with an in-date MOT certificate, even a tester has since deemed it unroadworthy.

But now the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) has updated its guidelines, saying: “You must not drive the vehicle on the road if it fails the test, even if the MOT hasn't run out.”

It adds that the only exceptions are to drive to have the defects fixed, or to a pre-booked MOT appointment.

If you're caught driving a car in a dangerous condition, you could face a fine of up to £2,500, a driving ban and three penalty points.

Update: February 2016

Since running this story, the DVSA has updated its website again – to say the complete opposite of what it originally said.

It now states: “You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.”

Beware, though – if you do drive your car away it is technically unroadworthy. If you were to be caught driving a dangerous vehicle, you could be prosecuted – and you definitely can't plead ignorance if you have an MoT fail sheet informing you of this.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

thornebt wrote: It now states: “You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.”

Beware, though – if you do drive your car away it is technically unroadworthy. If you were to be caught driving a dangerous vehicle, you could be prosecuted – and you definitely can't plead ignorance if you have an MoT fail sheet informing you of this.
It occurs to me that that it would have insurance implications if you were knowingly driving an unroadworthy vehicle at any time during the year, whether it had a current MOT cert or not. In theory this could even mean driving whilst knowingly having for example, a dud bulb or even an empty washer bottle, both of which are an MOT fail.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

SPRIDDLER wrote: a dud bulb or even an empty washer bottle, both of which are an MOT fail.
must make sure my bikes washer bottle is topped up then :rofl: :rofl:
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

There are thousands of cars being driven on our roads daily which are illegal, the ones that only have one headlamp or rear light on. Of course they haven't devised cameras to spot these, that is not yet!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

My car M o T is always due on the same date in September. It always goes in for service & M o T prior to the M o T running out. The new M o T always starts from when the old M o T ran out. This year it was M o T'd Aug 23rd. Apparently it failed due to one of the two number rear plate lights had blown.
My M 0 T reads. Issued Aug 23rd 2017 expires September 6th 2018. Two LED side lights were also removed and replaced with std bulbs. It was said. the LED's flickered a little. The light must be constant, or an on coming driver may think they are being flashed to proceed where ever they were going.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I've always believed that an unroadworthy vehicle is an unroadworthy vehicle whether or not it has an in-date MOT certificate. Since MOTs on older vehicles are no longer required, this removes the prompt to keep maintain them in good condition, even if it was only once a year.

Note: for anyone who has seen my bikes and finds the above statement funny, I spend a lot of time and effort dealing with the mechanicals and roadworthiness. It's a bit like my doctor, who looks after my health but isn't concerned about my appearance.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ozmadman wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote: a dud bulb or even an empty washer bottle, both of which are an MOT fail.
must make sure my bikes washer bottle is topped up then :rofl: :rofl:
Not to derail this MOT thread, Paul, but my point is that if as a result of an accident your vehicle had a fault which was arguably contributory to the event the insurance company would make as much of it as they could. I had two years of hassle with solicitors and subsequently barristers arguing in Court before settling my six figure personal injury claim. In spite of the fact that cameras on the 7.5 tonne lorry that hit me on a bend in a narrow country lane recorded that I was correctly positioned at an appropriate speed and that the lorry was almost totally on my side of the road the other side's insurers sent a so-called expert vehicle inspector who spent more than two hours trying to find any fault on my bent Matchless that could be presented as mitigating or contributory factors. It had been MOT'd with new tyres 10 days before the collision, nevertheless he went over it with a fine-toothed comb, including checking chain, sprockets, head race and wheel bearings, security of footrests, seat, tank and handlebars, controls, wheel spokes and brake linkages. (He also needed to justify his inspection fee).
Fortunately I also had 5 years' service and maintenance details written on 3 shed cupboards doors. He could find nothing to report.

Faced with a potentially substantial claim insurers will seek any wheedling reason to suggest that the injured rider/driver had a medical reason or that the machine had a mechanical fault which could have reduced the rider's ability to take evasive action and they will therefore endeavour to reduce their liability accordingly.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'