1955 G9 trip reset

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ducati2242

1955 G9 trip reset

Post by ducati2242 »

Anyone got a photograph of where the trip reset knob goes to on a 1955 matchless g9 . I've purchased two chronometric speedos one a grey centered 120 mph without trip. One a black faced 120mph with a trip and rear trip shaft , From the pictures i've seen this is the correct one but I have no idea where the trip reset cable and knob go to and is fixed . thanks .

All I can think is that it is relatively short 4 inch ish and just hangs down .
shifter

Re: 1955 G9 trip reset

Post by shifter »

Hello
Are these any help, off a 1955 16ms but I think its the same sort of headlight set up, trip adjustment rod came out just under the headlight cowl on mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shifter on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
?
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

Yes . so when it is fitted into the tin neck ? the cable isn't fitted anywhere it just hangs . Ive purchased a 4 inch cable just hope its long enough . thanks
shifter

Post by shifter »

As I recall it was just suspended with no fixings at all
?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You should find the trip spindle hanging through the bottom of the black face speedo. If you look carefully you should see a small hole in the spindle. A knob is fitted on the end of the trip spindle with a small wire clevis pin u clip. For use with the 55 on type headlamp, the knob is an extended type approx. 3 to 4" long. I made one from a bit of curtain wire. Screwed a small knob in one end, opened out the other end a bit until it was a hard push fit on the trip spindle. Its not seen but I did paint it black. Its been on the bike now since 1986 never fell off.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Here are photos of my 31 CSR arrangement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Looks like your bike has a headlamp later than the 55 type Rob. So it shows the extension coming through a hole in the bottom of the headlamp shell. I have never noticed this before. I'll have to take a look at my 63 CSR. Thanks for posting the pic.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Looks like your bike has a headlamp later than the 55 type Rob. So it shows the extension coming through a hole in the bottom of the headlamp shell. I have never noticed this before. I'll have to take a look at my 63 CSR. Thanks for posting the pic.
If your 63 CSR has the correct speedo Rob there won't be a trip on it, another of AMC's cutbacks I believe.
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

Thanks for all your help I now know the fit . My own headlamp is different again , could be wrong as I purchased bike as a box of bits , There is a back to the electrics and switchgear but the clock is more open . The picture has a cheap aftermarket clock that got it past its one and only mot .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Looks like your bike has a headlamp later than the 55 type Rob. So it shows the extension coming through a hole in the bottom of the headlamp shell. I have never noticed this before. I'll have to take a look at my 63 CSR. Thanks for posting the pic.
If your 63 CSR has the correct speedo Rob there won't be a trip on it, another of AMC's cutbacks I believe.
Probably why I have never noticed it Rob. Not rode or seen it for a couple years, being under a dust sheet. I do believe it may have the correct speedo with grey needle centre ????