bike transportation (best van for the job)

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
croxford

bike transportation (best van for the job)

Post by croxford »

Hi all I am looking at buying a van to transport my motorcycles to and from events with the family
I have been offered a vw t5 tranporter for a good price but I'm not sure if this is a big enough van for 2 motorcycles and if it is weather I will have a night mare tying them downin such cramped conditions.
so what is everyones preferred van for the job
before someone says it yes I could ride and family follow in a car but it would make it easier for longer runs in a van especially with 2 bikes in tow(and I don't like trailers)
many thanks
geoffb-63

Re: bike transportation (best van for the job)

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi, if the T5 is similar to the transit size, which i think it is, you should get 2 bikes in and using the ready available front wheel chocks would be easier way to strap down, however! you mention taking the family, sorry don`t know how many people you are talking about, this is where it gets sticky, all passengers have to have a seat belt, sticking somebody in the back with the bikes is against the law, not to mention dangerous, your insurance company would not agree to this in case of an accident and possible claims, i have gone through all the in`s and out`s of this with regard to my motorhome, a decent trailer is the easiest and most cost effective way of transporting your bikes in my opinion.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you have transported a bike on a trailer then you know the do's and don'ts. I have witnessed many of the dont's people have done. At many shows and rallies. Some of the don'ts. bikes not strapped down, compressing suspension & not from a high point spread wide + trough so the bike cannot slip sideways. Straps should angle so they pull the bike forward to the front wheel chock. Bouncing bikes strain straps, they break or loosen. Unchocked front and side ways, bikes will slip. A trailer usually comes with a suitable loading ramp. Which will need enough length inside the van to stow it. With a van, it's hight may give need for a long ramp, to reduce the slope angle. Also to stop the sump hitting the ramp at its apex. It will need sides and will need to fix on the van. The top end of the ramp not sticking up very high above the van floor. Bikes will need to be inline front to back, Not at an angle, I have seen quite a few bikes fall off a plank, bikes stuck on the apex half in half out. Planks not fixed slip, fall side ways etc. A bike is safer on a purpose built trailer, Properly strapped down with 4 straps. I do not particularly like towing. Just relax take your time, pull in at suitable lay by's and check your load, not after too many miles on your first check. Stop where you are more likely to have ample parking choice. Arrive safe and sound.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

A van beats a trailer hands down. I have a transit custom room for two bikes and three in the front.
if you are on your own you can sleep in it or put all the camping kit in with the bikes as I do.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

G15 Roy wrote:A van beats a trailer hands down. I have a transit custom room for two bikes and three in the front.
if you are on your own you can sleep in it or put all the camping kit in with the bikes as I do.
I do agree with Roy, his van is very suitable for the job. He also uses it for more than just the odd show and rally. However for most people that have and need a car. A trailer is a much cheaper option for just a few trips a year.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Rob Harknett wrote:
G15 Roy wrote:A van beats a trailer hands down. I have a transit custom room for two bikes and three in the front.
I do agree with Roy, his van is very suitable for the job. He also uses it for more than just the odd show and rally. However for most people that have and need a car. A trailer is a much cheaper option for just a few trips a year.
My van has become my every day vehicle since selling the Shogun and using trailers the only downside is using the Dartford bridge they charge more for the van.
Roy
dodger

Post by dodger »

I have a short wheelbase Vauxhall Vivaro, easily accommodates two bikes and a double air bed fits neatly in the back, saves all that nonsense with putting up tents and putting up with wet tents at the end of a rally.
I picked a Vivaro rather than a Transit as you see loads of rusty Transits but no rusty Vivaros.
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

i also agree with Roy about his van, i suppose each to their own, if i lived on my own i would probably do the same, in my case however the circumstances differ, for years i have transported my various bikes by trailer, touch wood never had an issue, my other half unfortunately does not like vans and prefers the comfort of the car and the ease of parking in low roof town centre car parks without hassle, the trailer stows away easily at home and as far as the staying away bit is concerned we take the motorhome,
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Used various Transits in the 70's/80's, 2x trials bikes no problem, plenty of room for other gear too. Think a Transporter may be a bit small.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have travelled a couple of times with a friend in his older T5 with two bikes (a first generation GS and a AJS 30) in the back for a round trip of about 700 miles, definitely doable, GS in first and strapped upright (sans mirrors), then the 30 on its side stand with triangulated strapping and strapped to each other, you may need a few dry runs to find out what works best for you.

There is more room in a Vivaro etc, that makes strapping a bit easier as does having one with two side doors, and usually this type of van will have three seats.

(Roy's "tent" usually has brick walls and a slate roof so his "camping gear" consists of an overnight bag, kimono and burgundy corduroy slippers.)