bike transportation (best van for the job)

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GOLDSTAR

Re: bike transportation (best van for the job)

Post by GOLDSTAR »

number of points to consider, it is no problem strapping down if you can get a van with two side doors
bikes alongside each other on a parallel plane often clash handlebars and footrest an Irish rally attendee, carpenter by trade made. a small wooden ramp with side restraining wheel pieces which allowed one of his machines to rise above the other avoiding this problem, rear barn doors are probably better than a rising tailgate,
I have a Toyota Hiace 2004 model, bit agricultural but solid as a rock, 3000 mile Latvian trip with two bikes in it, never missed a beat, still has it's original batteries, shows 84000 on the clock.
it has a hook on it and as it is a tad higher than front wheel drive vehicles, I have fitted a step on the towball mounting. It is slightly smaller than a transit, I believe, I also use it as my runaround. It still has its cabin bulkhead so makes a reasonably civilised drive.
The negative is nearly all vans came with just the one side door. personally I would avoid the French expert, despatch type many about and quite cheap I have had two with a small business the first one's gearbox exploded at 64000 miles 'nothing to do with us' said the manufacturer 'most unusual'
the local small franchised dealer had the parts on his shelf,!!! I rest my case [Toyota tell me they have not got any gearbox replacement part in the U,K they DON'T go wrong and any part would have to come in from Belgium]
I have had a couple of opaque windows put in the forward side of the van and I don't get charged as a van over the bridge, :beer: I was also told for the purpose of the Channel Tunnel charging it was classed as a large car. phew!
kind regards
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

The advantage of transporting motorcycles in a van is that they are safer than a trailer, also they do not get dirty or wet!
Our 14 year old Citroen Relay went to the IJR's in France, Denmark and Poland, with 4 or 5 bikes, now in service for Motorcross!
The replacement a Peugeot Boxer is going to the IJR in Portugal this year.
I would recommend using wheel chocks which make loading and tying down easier, also invest in an aluminium folding ramp.
The other benefit with a van is that you can see what all the cars are doing in front of you on Motorways as you are sitting much higher up!
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

If keen on a Vivaro - note that the Renault Trafic is the same van. Badge engineering lives on.
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

poplargreg wrote:If keen on a Vivaro - note that the Renault Trafic is the same van. Badge engineering lives on.

i think the nissan primastar is as well
clive

Post by clive »

G15 Roy wrote: .........
if you are on your own you can sleep in it or put all the camping kit in with the bikes as I do.
so they make hotels in a flat pack form now do they?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

matchbart wrote:
poplargreg wrote:If keen on a Vivaro - note that the Renault Trafic is the same van. Badge engineering lives on.

i think the nissan primastar is as well

All made at the same factory in Luton :roll:
Groily

Post by Groily »

As says Richard GoldStar, standard height (2m) and body length vans like Trafic (like wot I've got) and Vivaro come in at car prices on the X channel ferry. Also seem to cost the same as cars on French toll roads - but that's not true in all countries iirc. If you go for extra height, tolls shoot up everywhere, quite a lot in some cases. Headroom costs money . . but as far as I can see from those I know with vans, anything standard Transit or Trafic sized will easily handle 2 bikes plus kit, but not three. Loading height is OK (partly due to fwd), folding ramp is pretty well essential for safety and ease of (un)loading, and some form of loopery for straps and a front wheel holding system ditto. Electric or hydraulic tail lifts are icing on the cake for those who have them . . .
I find it easier to secure a single bike load on the side that doesn't have a sliding door. But a sliding door with a window in it, on the non-driver's side, is a big bonus at T junctions as long as there is a window between the driving compartment and the cargo space so you can see 'quarter-rear'. Windows both sides in the forward part of the cargo area must be even better.
Having trailered bikes all over the place, often in twos, the advantages of covered transport are real; dry, secure, no weird weaving effects at certain speeds, as I used to get towing two on a trailer behind a medium sized car. Also, trailer electrics can be a complete pain in the proverbial and are the (good) reason for more than a few pulls by the police when various bits malfunction.
Much happier with a van and dunno why I didn't get one years ago!
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Hi Groily, happy new year to you and I hope we will get around to visiting Luc sur Mer again soon , kind regards :beer:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

clive wrote:
if you are on your own you can sleep in it or put all the camping kit in with the bikes as I do.
All ready for this years Jampot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:
clive wrote:
All ready for this years Jampot
Taken the mirror off the ceiling I notice. :rofl: