My Pride and Joy

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
cbranni

My Pride and Joy

Post by cbranni »

It took half a dozen oily rags (fully synthetic), large box of Brillo pads, couple of Mr Muscle oven cleaner cans and some Kiwi black boot polish and three months fettling by me and my mate (or should that be my mate and I) to finish tarting up this little beauty.

Some parts not of the correct year but that's how the bike was when I had it

1956 Matchless G80cs 500cc Comp model................

[urlImage][/url]

[urlImage][/url]
only dead fish go with the flow
vincentvv

Re: My Pride and Joy

Post by vincentvv »

What a beauty!!!! :!:
Not fired is always a misser!
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Very nice!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

that sir, is a 'beut' and apart from the fact I cannot get my 'zorst over the r/h footrest very similar to my 1854/'56 engine G80c/s bitsa. except of course yours is probably more right than mine. Kind regards
choosey2

Post by choosey2 »

Very very nice very jealous !
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Very nice - but aren't you being economical with the facts regarding the restoration process?

Regards Mick
bjork

Post by bjork »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Very nice - but aren't you being economical with the facts regarding the restoration process?

Regards Mick
That's exactly what I thought! Come on Colin, that's no 'oily rag' job. It is definitely a very nice bike. And where can I buy fully synthetic rags too? ;)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Thank you all for the kind comments, and yes Mick I was a tad economic with the rebuild, I would like to share what little history I know about the bike, it is a one owner machine bought new in 56 by a lady from Hemel Hampstead, she parted with it early last year and it came into my possession in July. The numbers match the log book in 56 so I assume they are original but I will be in contact with Roy shortly to confirm this.

I didn't start work on the bike until the middle of October as I was half through rebuilding a Enfield 700 Meteor but as soon as that was out of the shed the Matchless was in.

The bike has taken a lot of abuse in it's lifetime and I am sure it has been used in competition but no evidence of this other than my gut feeling, it has sustained a front end collision I found bent stanchions and yokes but nothing that couldn't be repaired or replaced.

The engine was in very good condition, I just replaced main bearings, new piston rings and ground valves in, all seals gaskets. Gearbox was rather more work really worn out and rust had attacked the springs, change mechanism and most bushes were worn, but again nothing the can't be fixed.

Racing mag and the dynamo were checked over by Bill at Brightspark, I rebuilt the wheels, chrome rims with unpolished spokes, I rebuilt the jampots, the paint is 2K ably applied by mate while I point out the bits he missed.

There are a number of part that were made like front mudguard stays, sump guard (Don Madden drawing), rear seat support, front brake plate and cover and various brackets.

I actually feel quite honoured to have this bike but not sure why, few items I would like to get like folding kickstart and full width front hub so I will keep looking.

[urlImage][/url]

cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Richard (goldstar)

As I said above the exhaust came from Feked and fitted around the comp footrests no problem, one thing I will say that the bike was on the ramp when the exhaust was fitted and I am sure the engine side of the pipe was below ground level sort of bend down if that makes sense.
The only problem I had was the silencer fixing stud, if it was fitted as it should be on the inside it was cause the silencer to rub against the jampot so I twisted the silencer so the stud was on top and made bracket to suit.

Colin
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

That is a REALLY nice bike Colin and a good restoration well done.. one question... how do you manage to find these gems?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed