JAMPOT

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
dave16mct

Re: JAMPOT

Post by dave16mct »

I went for the digital magazine because I has so many paper copies, boxes full going back to 1975. I decided to get rid of them all. Saves me building an extension on the house!
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I hang on to the last 5 or 6 just so that I can give them away to visitors to our section stand at the Ardingly Classic Bike shows.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Mick D wrote:......by your calculation the majority have the ability to download the digital copy.
There is absolutely no way I would bother to read a digital magazine. The same as I can't enjoy books on a Kindle. There's something tactile and personal when relaxing with a brew and a hard copy as opposed to an anonymous and sterile computer screen. :cry:
Too right Neville, you can't put your tea cup down on a digital copy can you. Not only that , my PC has landscape screen.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote: Too right Neville, you can't put your tea cup down on a digital copy can you. Not only that , my PC has landscape screen.
Cuh! You're so right, Rob. There's not much we over 70's don't know about trendy technology; 60 years ago I said that the blackboard and chalk was just a fad.
;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rob Harknett wrote:Too right Neville, you can't put your tea cup down on a digital copy can you.
You can if you save it to a cd first.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote: Too right Neville, you can't put your tea cup down on a digital copy can you. Not only that , my PC has landscape screen.
Cuh! You're so right, Rob. There's not much we over 70's don't know about trendy technology; 60 years ago I said that the blackboard and chalk was just a fad.
;)
Yea just a fad. Don't need chalk to throw at kids in school now to get attention. Not at history classes I have taken, all very well behaved children. http://www.roydon.essex.sch.uk/166/imag ... roydon-rob
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

"Don't need chalk to throw at kids in school now to get attention." You were lucky - maths teacher at my school used to throw desks if you weren't paying attention. Ah, them were t'days.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Mick D wrote: Surely in this day and age the drive should be towards digital subscriptions - can the hard copies really be produced and distributed for only an additional £4 per year?
You're looking at the wrong way around! The digital PDF is a by-product of producing the printed magazine, so if the printed version wasn't produced there would (currently) be no PDF to send out...
The difference in cost reflects the savings made by not posting the magazine (though it's debateable whether the postage charges for the magazine are now higher than £4 per year!)

Mick D wrote:The notification of distribution on the forum would seem to be a solution and by your calculation the majority have the ability to download the digital copy.
I agree, it would seem that way... Personally I think that making an online version of the magazine available for members to download if they wished would be a good idea. Those that didn't have access to the online would still get their paper copy and those that had paper copies and were online could select either option to get their information.

Having said that, I'm obviously biased as my day job demands that I'm online and computer literate - so the decision cannot be mine alone. Equally it could be argued that even if everyone who viewed this thread agreed it would be a good idea, we're effectively "preaching to the converted" and so our desires don't reflect the majority.

Perhaps it's a proposal that should be discussed at the AGM by the membership present?

So whose going to put forward the proposal to the club secretary?
Corners like a Lego man
Janet

Post by Janet »

Eamonn wrote:So whose going to put forward the proposal to the club secretary?
I think I see a fundamental flaw in your question.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I am digital member of the Panther Owners Club for this current year but will go back to hard copy next year, purely for the same reason as Neville.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow