Ref quiz for 4 Mar 2018

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Ref quiz for 4 Mar 2018

Post by Rob Harknett »

re quiz week commencing 4/3/19 Answer speedo head fitting. Quiz master made a remark as to what bike it fitted. There were various types of these fittings for a few marques and speedos used on them. e.g Jame's and other such lightweights which had D shape speedo. One was used one year only 1938 AJS /Matchless that bolted onto the top fork link. This took a round speedo. I believe on this type there was a half circle cut out to clear either the speedo cable or speedo light fitting. Years ago I wanted one for a 1950 James Comet. I was not sure if one I found would be correct. It was painted Maroon, so I took a chance it was for James. It proved correct. It fitted the bike OK also the D shape speedo fitted OK. Perhaps these fittings are a standard size. So if you find one that may need the cut out, the cut out could be filled to fit.
39speedtwin

Re: Ref quiz for 4 Mar 2018

Post by 39speedtwin »

This bracket was fitted to AJS, M, BSA, Norton, Triumph etc, on the fork crown, it was suitable for D shapes and 3” Chronometric. Some machines fitted 2 when Rev-counters were fitted.
39speedtwin

Re: Ref quiz for 4 Mar 2018

Post by 39speedtwin »

I forgot to say that the brackets for girder forks are flatter and wider than the one on the quiz, the mounting for the speedometer is the same.