Non AJS Electrical Question

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Harry44

Re: Non AJS Electrical Question

Post by Harry44 »

If the sensors are two wire they are inductive not Hall effect. They generate a pulse without needing an exterior power source, as do Hall effect sensors.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

I bow to your superior knowledge as I know nothing about these things, but they are described as 'hall effect sensors' in the descriptive literature that came with the kit
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Yeah its quite common to call them all Hall effect. I'm just a pedant. But if you apply the test for defects for one type on the other it lets all the smoke out.

The inductive type are just a coil of wire and generate a signal when a magnet moves by. the same principal as a dynamo.

Hall effect is a transistor fed with 5v across two of its wires and switches on its third wire when a magnet moves by.

Where's me anorak ? :)
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Les, could you give us more details of the device(s) you are using, like manufacturer/type? For me at least it would be fine if I could lookup the characteristics at internet. Is the reset function also part of the kit? Hopefully the documentation also specifies the type of reset signal required. Some circuits simply respond to voltage level, some other circuits require a sharp step in the voltage etc.
What exactly is the role of that reset? I suppose the counter is an up/down counter which only needs a reset when it misses a gear change and is off by one position? Or, in the case of our B52 gear box, you try to select a higher speed when already in the 4th speed; the lever will make a full excursion but nothing happens inside the gearbox.

Albert
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Albert
Regretfully my knowledge of electronics is confined to the days of valves and condensers, the installation instructions don't give any circuit information, and the manufacturers website is less than helpful being basically Chinese or similar although in English. If you want to look further the website is www.sbmoto.com
The unit does everything it is supposed to with the exception of the neutral indicator which seems to need a quick earth connection when in neutral rather than a continuous connection which doesn't seem to have time to dissipate in order to register a gear if connected all the time the gears are in neutral
Les
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

leswaller wrote:If you want to look further the website is http://www.sbmoto.com
The link doesn't work for me, Les. It's just an ad for that domain name. :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

Same here !! :|

Best wishes.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Sorry I did a typo, it should be www.sbsmoto.com
Les
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Les,

I think now it's one of these GOANDSTOP units http://www.sbsmoto.com/product/671.html ,
likely with this circuit description http://www.electronics-lab.com/project/ ... indicator/
, compare the gear lever pictures there and in the GOANDSTOP details.
The neutral switch is connected to microprossor I/O port PB2 via a 10 kOhm resistor R3. There is a remark concerning current drawn by PB2 via R3 when the gear is in neutral, which might produce a slight glow in the bike's neutral light when this is a LED. That current can be blocked by using a diode in stead of a resistor for R3. That diode would conduct only when the the neutral switch is closed. Then it gives a voltage drop of about 0.65 V. So a level of 0.65 V at PB2 is close enough to 0 V to be recognised as neutral position by the processor, but your 1.05 V is not low enough.
With all this info I conclude that my previous description should work with a resistor of 2.2 kOhm (or maybe even larger). The diodes can be any general purpose silicon diodes. If you have a LED neutral indicator then it might glow. In that case another solution is well possible.
Please can you confirm that the above website references are right?

Albert
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Albert
Many thanks for your continuing help.

It is a goandstop unit but it is this one - http://www.sbsmoto.com/product/161.html.
I am not knowledgable enough to know if the circuit is different to the one you have indicated.
The sensors on my unit are only 2 wire instead of the 3 wire shown in the circuit diagram.
I cannot get at any of the circuitry as it is sealed inside the display module and there is no additional pcb, so where would I connect the diode/resistor?
Les