Bike Security

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: Bike Security

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Secure bikes (640x360).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
REW

Post by REW »

Rob Harknett wrote:My garage is in such a mess, anyone going in may have something fall on them.
:lol:

As for angle grinders, I read that not much will withstand them. Best you can do is keep a chain lock clear of the ground which makes it harder to press on and grind away, if you see what I mean.

I hope right now that wind, rain and sleet will keep the wa***rs tucked up in bed rather than nosing about...
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mate at work was always getting his bicycle stolen. I took a long heavy duty chain to work, he chained it to a gutter down pipe. In no time at all the bike was gone. Thief just smashed the down pipe, took the bike and chain. Few days later, open the factory back door just as a thief sped off with his new bike. Jumped in my car and chased after him. Got close to him and he turned down a narrow alley. Lost him.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
MalcW wrote:Hi Spriddler
SPRIDDLER wrote:That's an FAQ on here, Malc.
Is there? I did a search for Security in FAQs and didn't find anything. I also went through all of the Tech articles - which took a while as kept getting distracted by other interesting stuff. Do you have a link to it?
No prob Malcolm; I wasn't being impatient! I meant that it does crop up quite often on the Forum and is a valid concern for all of us.
The 'Search' facility is a bit hit 'n miss / specific and often (very often) a thread's title won't be sufficiently explicit with regard to the actual enquiry - e.g. someone will/has posted a question entitled 'Kill switch' or 'Steering Lock' or 'Insurance cover' or 'Good bike chain?' or 'Parking' or 'Ignition cut out' which is actually a request for ways of keeping the bike secure and won't be picked up in a search. Either that or a vaguely related thread will wander into security matters.
I think the current comments sum up the general approach.
I had a pal with a 30's soft top MG who considered putting a block of wood pierced with 6" nails or needles under the thinly padded driver's seat when he parked it but he abandoned the idea when realising the consequences of forgetting about it when HE got in :o
Hi Spriddler

Ah, I was thinking there was a specific Security article or FAQ I was missing. I'll search for likely terms. I'm not so worried about the garage; there is a narrow short steep uphill driveway in front of it, with a camper van and a car parked there most of the time, and no room to get past them (in fact there's little room to get out of the car/camper once you've parked them!). I'm looking more at security options when out and about.

The idea of the hidden spikes reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson's idea for making drivers more cautious; replace the driver's airbag with a 6" spike...

Cheers,

Malcolm
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You need to search the forum, to discover discussion on the security topic. Click on the magnifying glass, type in a key search word, what ever. It will be a bit like a game of hide & seek. Its all there, see if you can find it.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I agree; at home we have multiple options. It's when out and about that security is a concern, especially if one isn't keen to carry heavy/bulky/multiple devices. I think putting a bike cover over the beloved helps if leaving it for a couple of hours or more but it's a bit of a faff.
No doubt I'm stating what you already know, but the Forum search facility is unlike say, a Google search. The Forum search will only find posts which contain your specific search keyword(s) or phrase, whereas Google will capture all of those plus related words which may not be specified in your search criteria. All websites (not forums or message boards) have 'hidden' but vaguely related words ghosted behind the front page to act as bait for Google. Ebay sellers attempt to use unhidden 'catch-all' bait up front like 'Barn find' which could relate to any bike, car, scooter....or for example you often see a bike advertised as 'Matchless. Not Triumph AJS Norton Ariel' where the seller is hoping that anyone searching for a Triumph etc. will fall upon his Matchless advert.
You can refine your Forum search by using the 'Advanced search' facility.

However, I think the comments in this thread have covered all the options/advice that you'll find by searching.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
raffles

Post by raffles »

Dont forget when safely locked up in your garage/workshop to also lock up your tools. No point in locks and chains if you leave
hacksaws,chisels or even grinders and gas torches in view.
Tony