My holy grail at least ...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
spud352

Re: My holy grail at least ...

Post by spud352 »

That's easier said than done. This is not a couple of grand we're talking about it's a substantial some of hard earned money for a bike that's not even ready for the road. I'm afraid sentimentality does a have a price which is why the initial inquiry for the value of the bike as is.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Well to avoid going around the houses with hypotheses and wild guesses perhaps you can reveal the (so far, secret?) seller's asking price. ;)
Cosmetics are fairly obvious but the mechanical condition................? Have you heard it running? Smoky? Gearbox, wheel bearings, clutch o.k?
As said, not many sold with which to compare/research price vs condition, and too many unknowns from just a photo to give a realistic or accurate valuation.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spud352

Post by spud352 »

Well it's no secret as it's at Bonhams, however I do speak to the guy as I found it with him years ago. I also wanted to offer him a price before the auction hence the value. The auction value doesn't mean a great deal to me as I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Allowing for the 15% buyers premium the lower value may be a bit high but overall it is probably a fair estimate range https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24494/ ... =50&page=6 the price guides are normally pitched to generate interest rather than scare people off, the unknown is how well it has all been put back together as it has not really been used since rebuilding.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

An incomplete 1937 model 2 sold at Bonhams a couple of years ago for £13,000 including premium. A lot of the parts with it were wrong. This one looks fairly unmolested so I would put £14,000 to £16,000. My 1929 AJS M1 made more than this, as Banbury eligible.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I would be surprised if Bonhams couldn't get £35000 for it, having bid for a few things off them in the past. So start saving.
I can only go up to £34750. in my dreams!
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Sud, Roy and I (Dudley) will be at Stafford on the club stand in the main hall, I presume that you will be there, so if you want we can look at it with you. I still doubt that it will make the estimate, it is not a Matchless model X!

Post by 1608 »

With that sort of money involved, I personally would want to have ridden a similar, if not, same machine to satisfy myself its what I would really be happy with. Last year I was treated to a VMCC day where I had the opertunity to ride many different machines ( all pre-war including a recently restored Brough 80 ) and granted it was only on a sprint circuit, but it made me realise just how antiquated the bikes were by comparison with even a 50's single.But, thats just my opinion obviously.
spud352

Post by spud352 »

Duncan wrote:Allowing for the 15% buyers premium the lower value may be a bit high but overall it is probably a fair estimate range https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24494/ ... =50&page=6 the price guides are normally pitched to generate interest rather than scare people off, the unknown is how well it has all been put back together as it has not really been used since rebuilding.
Thanks, with my limited knowledge I thought that but he may take a lower offer cash so not having to pay sellers premium.
To confirm as the buyer is the final selling price : (Hammer Price +15%) +vat or Hammer Price + (15% + Vat) ??

In other words is the vat payable on the whole amount or just the 15% extra?

I don't think the bike has been ridden just started.
39speedtwin wrote:Sud, Roy and I (Dudley) will be at Stafford on the club stand in the main hall, I presume that you will be there, so if you want we can look at it with you. I still doubt that it will make the estimate, it is not a Matchless model X!
Thanks that's a lovely offer. You may recognise me I've been to the stand a few times over the years and always chat to someone other. Originally someone kindly put my flyer up when I was originally searching for the bike. If it doesn't make estimate I'm in a much better position to buy privately I would have thought.
39speedtwin wrote:An incomplete 1937 model 2 sold at Bonhams a couple of years ago for £13,000 including premium. A lot of the parts with it were wrong. This one looks fairly unmolested so I would put £14,000 to £16,000. My 1929 AJS M1 made more than this, as Banbury eligible.
Again I personally thought that was nearer the mark because with the premium it becomes very expensive.
1608 wrote:With that sort of money involved, I personally would want to have ridden a similar, if not, same machine to satisfy myself its what I would really be happy with. Last year I was treated to a VMCC day where I had the opertunity to ride many different machines ( all pre-war including a recently restored Brough 80 ) and granted it was only on a sprint circuit, but it made me realise just how antiquated the bikes were by comparison with even a 50's single.But, thats just my opinion obviously.
I see what your saying but I don't really care if they're a pig to ride. It's what I prefer, however it's a huge sum of money and knocks me sick thinking about it. :shock:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

spud352 wrote:
Duncan wrote:Allowing for the 15% buyers premium the lower value may be a bit high but overall it is probably a fair estimate range https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24494/ ... =50&page=6 the price guides are normally pitched to generate interest rather than scare people off, the unknown is how well it has all been put back together as it has not really been used since rebuilding.
Thanks, with my limited knowledge I thought that but he may take a lower offer cash so not having to pay sellers premium.
To confirm as the buyer is the final selling price : (Hammer Price +15%) +vat or Hammer Price + (15% + Vat) ??

In other words is the vat payable on the whole amount or just the 15% extra?

I don't think the bike has been ridden just started.
39speedtwin wrote:Sud, Roy and I (Dudley) will be at Stafford on the club stand in the main hall, I presume that you will be there, so if you want we can look at it with you. I still doubt that it will make the estimate, it is not a Matchless model X!
Thanks that's a lovely offer. You may recognise me I've been to the stand a few times over the years and always chat to someone other. Originally someone kindly put my flyer up when I was originally searching for the bike. If it doesn't make estimate I'm in a much better position to buy privately I would have thought.
39speedtwin wrote:An incomplete 1937 model 2 sold at Bonhams a couple of years ago for £13,000 including premium. A lot of the parts with it were wrong. This one looks fairly unmolested so I would put £14,000 to £16,000. My 1929 AJS M1 made more than this, as Banbury eligible.
Again I personally thought that was nearer the mark because with the premium it becomes very expensive.
1608 wrote:With that sort of money involved, I personally would want to have ridden a similar, if not, same machine to satisfy myself its what I would really be happy with. Last year I was treated to a VMCC day where I had the opertunity to ride many different machines ( all pre-war including a recently restored Brough 80 ) and granted it was only on a sprint circuit, but it made me realise just how antiquated the bikes were by comparison with even a 50's single.But, thats just my opinion obviously.
I see what your saying but I don't really care if they're a pig to ride. It's what I prefer, however it's a huge sum of money and knocks me sick thinking about it. :shock:
May be best to become a member of the club if not already one.
Roy