Securing electrical wiring

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Triumph-Legend

Securing electrical wiring

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Don't all start laughing as this is a genuine question. The machine is a 1954 G3LS. (Horn wire inside the handle bar).

What is the correct or period correct method of securing the wires from the dip switch to the handle bars. Note on other machines this question may also apply to horn button wire. Come to think of it, the question may also apply to the securing of various cables and wires against frame tubes.

The options
1, Those useless pull though rubber band things that last about six months before cracking up.
2, A neat wrap of black electrical tape. This was always my choice years back. But back then there was no such thing as a nylon cable tie.
3, Chromed metal cable clips. I bought some of these, but somehow they just don't look right. Probably better on a 1960's bike. A bit fancy on an early bike.
3, The modern, (and best), option is to use small size, nylon black tie wrap. Discrete, neat and readily available.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
JimFitz

Re: Securing electrical wiring

Post by JimFitz »

Small black zip ties for me with the heads slid round the back where they cannot be seen. I am sure they would have been used back in the day were they available. I think they were patented and were really expensive back then and mainly used in the aerospace industry. When the patent ran out the price plummeted.
The rubber type available now seem to be made from inferior rubber and are useless.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have to agree the old figure of 8 rubbers are troublesome. Years ago people used insulation tape instead. The small cable tie's mentioned are a neat way to secure wiring now. They cannot of course be re used. A small pair of side cutters will need to be added to the tool kit to cut them off easily without damage etc. The cheap little side cutters the wife may use to trim her finger nails are good enough to cut the small ties. They are not man enough to cut the large. They seem to be made of cast, if you are strong enough they will snap. Here's a pair I have not broken yet.
side cutters for finger nails and cable ties.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schrottschlecker

Post by schrottschlecker »

Hello,

really cool are these mini leather belts: http://www.knaga-moto.com/

Regards,

Christian
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've a May '54 G3LS (two previous owners) but all wires are external to the h/bars. None routed inside.
I used the very small black cable ties since they are only there to hold the wires in place and don't have any real force on them (and absolute originality is not my thing ;) ).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Thanks to you all for your replies.

I think I'll go with the chrome clips for the handle bar wires, the reason being that they are specifically intended for this purpose.
Fall back option will be small discrete black zip ties with the end clip hidden below the bars.

I'm not usually this fussy as I rebuild my bikes to be ridden rather than being a trailer queen. However this bike is going on long term display and I would like it to be as correct as it can be.

Just for reference, the picture below is of the horn button which has its wire inside of the h/bar. the wire exits the bar about one inch from the bar mounting clamp. Although very neat and tidy, it does mean having a tapped hole in the handle bar for mounting.
1954 horn button.JPG
The little leather straps look interesting. Just the thing for a retro custom bike.

Historical note - Zip ties were first invented by Thomas & Betts, in 1958 under the brand name Ty-Rap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Rob makes a good point there, having used Ty wraps for considerable years I'm very aware of how a sharp edge left from cutting off the excess can cause distress - the side cutters Rob has linked are flush cutting, I'd recommend looking for a pair ;) or trimming back the cut edge with a craft knife.

Regards Mick
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Lever on back to front bad boy Adrian. ;)
Roy
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Roy, if you want to nitpick, it's the wrong one for the right hand side of the handlebars. If Adrian is happy with it so what.😎
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

...still more nits: hooter button is usually on left so you can grab the brake and hoot!

Rob C