Securing electrical wiring

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Expat

Re: Securing electrical wiring

Post by Expat »

dave16mct wrote:We used to dream of using string. We had to use birch twigs, chewed for a month to make it more supple..... :rofl:
Dave.

Birch twigs??.....lucky buggers. Didn't have twigs round our way, maybe you used them all. We had to use bacon rind, warmed up just enough to toughen it, not too much though or you couldn't knot it.

:D
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

robcurrie wrote:...still more nits: hooter button is usually on left so you can grab the brake and hoot!

Rob C
Not on a 1940 G3 WO Rob, quite clearly shown in the rider instruction book on the right hand side.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

On the right until 1956 when it was combined with the dipswitch on the left.
Dave.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Well there have been some very constructive replies. I have tried the chromed / Stainless metal clips and they just don't look right. So it's going to be discrete black cable ties.
As mentioned previously I won't be using the rubber band type of cable tie, I stopped using them about forty five years ago, they were rubbish back then and have not improved with the passing of time. To be honest, they don't look tidy and last only a few months before cracking up. A neat wrap of black tape beats these every time. Then along came nylon cable ties. :D

Horn button location is correct according to the 54 owners manual. I did dig out the original h/bars that came on the bike and position is spot on.
But thanks for the comment as it gave me cause to double check. Never a bad thing.
Does anybody know of a supplier of these horn buttons that are threaded into the H/bar?

Trust Roy to notice the swapped over mag / choke levers. Sod it. But there is / was good reason for this.
The short choke lever on the H/bar throttle side cranks up higher to avoid clashing with the throttle body. The bike has been dropped at some time in its life and I'm pretty sure that this was the reason for the levers being swapped around, as well as the bike having miss matched mag / choke levers. Well obviously this needed to be sorted out properly. The only problem being that I only had one set of correct pivot pitch clutch and brake lever mounts and did not want to fit separate, repro mag / choke levers. I had already bought a complete lever assembly just to obtain a correct pitch brake lever blade. Nothing else for it but to take some parts from my much loved G80. After a lot of mucking about and a bit of fettling the bike now has the correct levers mounted and the cables correctly routed.

Now I need to spend more to bring the G80 back to life. If this carries on I'll be looking for crowd funding on tinternet.
Er, has anybody got a brake lever mounting going spare, the type that allows fitting of the choke lever as a combined unit?

I'm quite pleased with the bike now. only 9K recorder miles. It had lots of corrosion to sort out but incredibly the tank internally was very clean and I have not done any work on the engine other than mag rebuild / carb rebuild and chuck a bit of oil in the cylinder and lots of turning over prior to initial starting.
Since then the bike has run very well indeed, one of the strongest pulling 350's that I have ridden. I have tried with this bike to replace only parts that were worn or otherwise beyond repair.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Adrian
I have afew combination levers lok in the jampot or give John a call for my number
Tony
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Had you thought of the aluminium cable ties that would be maybe a little too early in period, but they do a good job. P.M. me and I'll give you the address of the company that sells them, they only cost pence, but work very well.

Tommy RE
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

raffles wrote:Adrian
I have afew combination levers lok in the jampot or give John a call for my number
Tony
Hi Tony, Thanks for your offer, I'll be sure to have a word with John.

Ady.