How to add pictures to topic?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: How to add pictures to topic?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote: THat could be due to something like encrypted codes used of which there may be many, not all able to be read by some systems used.
No Rob. It's a well known issue (except in Essex evidently) with pre-Oct 2017 Photobucket images (which is the example I gave). Until last Oct Photobucket was a free hosting service which then became chargeable. If you didn't sign up and pay your albums/images were blocked and inaccessible. Fortunately I also had all my approx four hundred bike/techy photos on my laptop.
Photobucket also own TinyPics which is going/has gone the same way.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: The saved photo although of lower quality is much smaller in size (Kb), better than zip or other method so far for some reason. Is that the size that you mean?
I use Windows Live Photo Gallery. Just open the album, open the photo, select 'Edit, organise, or share' from the menu in the top bar, right click on the photo, choose 'Resize' from the drop-down menu options. I enter 640 in the 'Maximum dimensions' box as this reproduces another copy of the photo and adds it to the same album but in a size less than the max allowed of 1MB which fits these forum pages nicely.
Other Windows versions or software may be a different resizing procedure.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Neville, if there's a roundabout way to get to the same place, I'll do it.

Think I'll use yours in future.

But as Edward Albee wrote, " Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly." For those who've seen or read his play - Zoo Story.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Well it actually takes about 20 seconds max to resize.
The newly resized photo will be shown with resized dims in your album (You have to close the original photo and re-open the album after resizing for the album to refresh and show the resized photo in the album). It seems far more complex when describing it than it really is to do.
When you post the resized photo on here it will appear with its title plus its resized size. In this case (640x480).....
2016-05-20 Kempton May 21 2016 031 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Rob Harknett wrote:
THat could be due to something like encrypted codes used of which there may be many, not all able to be read by some systems used. It happens with videos, e.g. an encrypted Win 7 system video may not work for win 10 user. Beyond my understanding, but there is software that will read almost all encrypted files. Over to the experts.
Whilst video CODECS are another can of worms in their own right that's not what we're refering to here Rob.

The problem IS 3rd Party hosting sites that start off free and then, when they've got a significant user base, start to charge for their services. It's a business model and whilst many will walk away (leaving a trail of unviewable images littered around the net and who can blame them) sufficient numbers don't, making the business model viable at least for a while until the next new "best thing since sliced bread" or fad comes along, and the owners money.
SPRIDDLER wrote:Well it actually takes about 20 seconds max to resize.
When you post the resized photo on here it will appear with its title plus its resized size. In this case (640x480).....
2016-05-20 Kempton May 21 2016 031 (640x480).jpg
Which highlights another "Forum spoiler" - posting of ridiculously huge original size images which require scroll bars longer than the Trans-Siberian railway! (OK, I exagerate just a tad for effect :D )

Given there are numerous ways to re-size images there must be at least one method avaliable to all and so there should be absolutely no need to do it.....

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

For assistance in adding pictures, please read this thread:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=12424
Corners like a Lego man
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Thanks to all of who replied, I now have it sussed, hopefully I will post the first pictures from Amboise near Tours on Monday.
Heading will be ‘Tigers to Portugal'.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I never have liked " hosts " always used disc, card stick etc. So I have files myself. Also, years ago when BB speeds were slow ( still are in my village ) also computers slow and little memory. I also recall when I swapped from MS dos to Apple then to PC Microsoft. My e mail used outlook Express. Back then, if I attached a file, I got a message, would I like to resize. It then resized the attachment to a very small file. With that I could send myself a mail and receive a re sized file. BB was via 54k modem which you were lucky to get just 20K speed. If I was using my computer, the phone would not work as the comp was on dial up. Years ago with Apple I did not need more than what was on computer. I could access and use soft ware on some American university system and use for free.