Sidestand modification

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Sidestand modification

Post by 56G80S »

Hi - the title is self explanatory.

Now I have Rob's super centre stand (and it does,now, magically, clip into the spring blade holder without adjustment of latter so Rob was right) I think I'll modify the sidestand by getting an extension welded on.

It's not easy to get at when astride the Matchless and when tired easy to misjudge when it's down (as happened in Stokesley - a whole three miles away but spilled diesel in the forecourt didn't help) Germany on the way to Denmark and Holland on the way back from Njimegen and fall over!

Keen to plagiarise / build on others experience of location, angle, length etc.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Re: Sidestand modification

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote:Hi - the title is self explanatory.

Now I have Rob's super centre stand (and it does,now, magically, clip into the spring blade holder without adjustment of latter so Rob was right) I think I'll modify the sidestand by getting an extension welded on.

It's not easy to get at when astride the Matchless and when tired easy to misjudge when it's down (as happened in Stokesley - a whole three miles away but spilled diesel in the forecourt didn't help) Germany on the way to Denmark and Holland on the way back from Njimegen and fall over!

Keen to plagiarise / build on others experience of location, angle, length etc.

Johnny B
Funny you should mention a side stand as I'm currently looking at producing an adjustable one. It'll be designed to use the existing frame boss and will not bend at the thinned down foot end etc.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajscomboman wrote:
Funny you should mention a side stand as I'm currently looking at producing an adjustable one. It'll be designed to use the existing frame boss and will not bend at the thinned down foot end etc.
Sounds interesting....
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Where's the advertising police?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The Chief Constable is on holiday and it's not advertising anything only a possibility.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Rob

I'm currently at only 174lbs and no problems with bending at the foot (or anywhere else no blue pills required). I just wanted to get an additional piece welded onto the current sidestand.

You know I'm too tight to spend any more than I have to.

Johnny B
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Do what I have done since 2003, tie a length of cord to your side stand and have it long enough to be able to tuck into the area between the petrol tank and seat. Put a loop on the top end to help when pulling the side stand out when you want to get off your bike.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

That's a good starter idea Mike and will try it.

I find that as I have a longish body versus short legs it's the "hold the stand down" bit while leaning onto it that has gone wrong. My foot has slipped off the stand, it springs up and I'm down.

I suppose I could change the spring position but I know I'll set off with the stand down (see someone's other thread about AJS Raptor). With the caravan I've hear the "jockey wheel" shout before now.

Johnny B
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Hold the bike on it's front brake, pull the stand out and forward then lean bike onto sidestand making sure the bike doesn't roll forward when putting the bike's weight onto the sidestand. Being a short a—e and now getting on in years I have to use this system if there isn't a kerb available 😂.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

With my two Triumphs, I can flick their side stands out with my foot. I can't do that with the M18S and the G3/LS. I have to either lean down the side and put it out with my hand before getting off the bike or get off the bike first and then dig them out with my foot.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.