pipe removal

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Auzray M

pipe removal

Post by Auzray M »

Help please !!!!!!
can anybody come up with some tricks to remove exhaust pipes from the head ??
I have followed up a recent post for exhaust removal, unfortunately no real suggestions for my super stuck pipe . I have a pipe on the chain-case side to remove . Bike is fitted with an alternator so I need to remove case squarely and pipe will need removing. I have soaked with penetrating oil I don't believe its been off for 57 years and will not move at all, i will try heating the head in a couple of days and see if the pen oil has done its job but thought perhaps somebody can come up with a trick or two
Thanks for any information
Ray
Mick D

Re: pipe removal

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I take it you are trying to rotate the pipe in the head and not just trying to knock it forward, if so lots of heat concentrated where the pipe enters the head and then twist again, in both directions.

The best penetrating fluid I've used is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid.

I use a 3kw propane torch to apply heat to large items such as a head.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Re: pipe removal

Post by ajscomboman »

I had the same problem on a 63 CSR. Tried heat, oil, you name it but nothing would shift it after 40+ years sitting growing in the head. In the end I cut the pipe by the port and then using a Dremel with cutting disc I cut a slot through the middle into the port and squeezed the pipe in on itself to reduce the dia and with more heat and oil out it came. Wasn't using the pipes again so it didn't matter cutting them.