QD or not QD. That is the question...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
numbersix

QD or not QD. That is the question...

Post by numbersix »

Hello all. I have a newly-acquired 1957 G11 with a bolt-up sprocket rear wheel. I would like to fit the later type QD sprocket arrangement (rubber-bushed pins etc) but I am stumped regarding which hub I need. Can anyone please help?

Allan.
Allan.
G15 Roy

Re: QD or not QD. That is the question...

Post by G15 Roy »

The Hubs are the same you just need all the different wheel fittings and spacers,nuts and blots for the rubbers drive pins and the rear sprocket.
Roy
numbersix

Post by numbersix »

Thanks Roy. That's great. Something relatively easy to do (if not easy on the wallet....)
Allan.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I would look out for a second hand wheel and use the fittings that will be a lot cheaper. Don't buy an Indian sprocket as many say they are not a good fit.
Roy
numbersix

Post by numbersix »

I think you're right about finding used parts. Not too common on That website, though! I had already decided against Indian sprockets, having read a few threads on here (and also having bought an Indian tank for my Commando :x
Allan.
clive

Post by clive »

G15 Roy wrote:The Hubs are the same you just need all the different wheel fittings and spacers,nuts and blots for the rubbers drive pins and the rear sprocket.
Roy are you saying you can convert an early QD wheel (the sort with the metal to metal pins) to the later type by simply getting the late type sprocket and the pins and rubbers to suit? Are all the spacers the same?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
numbersix

Post by numbersix »

I think that the early QD wheel has pins closer to the centre than the later one does. (i.e. the pcd is different.) Others may well have more accurate info! :oops:

The pcd of the holes in my bolt-up hub is approx. 113 mm, from a quick measure-up. Therefore, based on Roy's response to my question, the pcd of the holes in the later QD hub/sprocket should be 113 mm.
Allan.