chrome tank panels

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
david pollard

chrome tank panels

Post by david pollard »

i wish to fit chrome tank panels to my 56 model 18, but have been advised by the seller that they only fit the model 20s, mine is a single down tube frame, tank has 4 fixings, ant advise please? david
numbersix

Re: chrome tank panels

Post by numbersix »

I have chrome panels on my tank, but it is the 1959 type with a centre welded rib. This is a different shape to the earlier type and I don't know if the chrome panels would fit your tank.

There only seem to be one type of chrome panels on sale, so I suspect that they are only for later tanks.

Does anyone have an early (up to '57-ish) tank with chrome panels fitted? The only earlier-shaped tanks that I have seen with chrome decoration have actually been entirely chrome plated and then partially painted.
Allan.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

1956 model 30 and G11 were the first to have detatcheable chrome panels. I'm not sure but I think they may be all the same. They don't fit that well anyway!
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

dave16mct wrote:They don't fit that well anyway!
Hi

I can't help on the suitability front but can comment on the fit.

I was advised that there were issues with both the quality of chrome and fit of some of these panels, (I believe some are sourced from India). At the time Steve at AMC Classic was able to supply a pair of high quality panels which were a joy to fit - not the cheapest but a good choice in my opinion.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've no personal experience but according to the Spares Lists in Christians Archive the tanks for the 1956 Model 18 and for the 1956 twins are shown as:

Model 18
Part No. 021164 Tank. Petrol. Bare. Chromed and panelled. Model 16MS & 18MS
Part No. 021308 Tank. Petrol. Bare. Enamelled and lined. Model 16MS & 18MS

See page 41 here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... S_18CS.pdf

Twins
Part No. 021164 Tank. Bare. Plated. Black panels - Model 20
Part No. 022619 Tank. Bare. Plated. Black panels - Model 30

See page 37 here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf

It would seem that the tanks themselves were chrome plated at source and not fitted with separate chrome panels.
There is no mention in the 1956 Model 18 or the Twins Parts lists of 'Chrome panels' as separate items although they were fitted/offered on later models for tanks having totally different part numbers from 1956 lists.
If your bike still has an original/correct tank and the advice you rec'd was from Steven at AMC Classic Spares I'd say he's probably right.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

OK I was one year out, it was 1957 when the seperate chrome panels were fitted to the twins. I was certain I'd seen somewhere the 1956 G9 with chromed tank and the G11 with panels. Could've been an interim or show thing. Hey the sun's shining!
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You could be right, Mick. I only looked at a couple of spares lists but they were often late being updated and inaccurate in some details, particularly cosmetics. Plus the model year changed in September so a late '56 reg'd G9 could well have '57 model styling.
In an ideal world every model would have had two spares lists covering the change/overlap periods but amending documentation text and drawings must have been a far more laborious and costly burden than it would be today.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'