DVLA credit where it is due.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ajsm18

Re: DVLA credit where it is due.

Post by ajsm18 »

Pharisee wrote:That sounds easy enough...
My '71 bike is taxed until 31st March 2019 but the current MOT expires 22nd June 2018. Do you think it would be OK to just ignore the MOT until the bikes current tax expires or should I re-tax it when the the MOT expires and declare it MOT exempt?
From what I've read on the VMCC forum and, if it is already "Historic Vehicle" taxation class, you can just tax it today and won't need an MoT. I haven't tried it yet as I decided to tax mine last week to avoid any teething problems with the DVLA site but it seems that there are none!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

My '71 bike is taxed until 31st March 2019 but the current MOT expires 22nd June 2018. Do you think it would be OK to just ignore the MOT until the bikes current tax expires or should I re-tax it when the the MOT expires and declare it MOT exempt?
As long as the log book (V5) states that it is a historic vehicle then you don't need to declare it M.O.T exempt as it is all automated. As it won't need an M.O.T from now on I would just apply for the tax from now. All you need is the 11 digit number from your V5 and the registration number
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

You may as well do it now and you can make the declaration and you will get new tax starting from the start of May and you will be registered as a MOT exempt "Vehicle of Historic Interest".
If you ignore the MOT until March 2019 you may get a pull as it will be registered on the DVLA database as requiring MOT. Could cause problems in the event of an insurance claim also.
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Just taxed my Triumph T21 which was last MOT'd in 2015 and SORNed since then. Classified as 'historic vehicle' on V5C and confirmed the declaration of no major alterations to the original specifications since built.

Very easy process that will certainly make life a bit easier - just need to finish rebuilding the top end.

Cheers, Bruno