feeling like a novice! - grease gun won't load and work???

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
StephenG80

Re: feeling like a novice! - grease gun won't load and work?

Post by StephenG80 »

welcome to the thread "dimwit" glad I am not alone. I'll post some picture of the gun concerned -may be its the same as your dad's - just goes to show there is no such thing as a silly question 8-)
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

here are the photos:-
Capture.JPG
Capture 4.JPG
Only the front comes off so I presume I just put the open end over the hole in the grease tin and fill as best I can excluding air pockets. Once full, will grease come out of small hole on the side (arrowed)in the top (can't think what else it could be for otherwise - or does this contain a catch to allow the plunger end to be taken off???? - do I need to push a small screw driver or similar through it to release it???).

Is this similar to your one Johnny B?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

From the manufacturer:
Tecalemit Filling.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Mick D wrote:Hi

From the manufacturer:
Tecalemit Filling.png
Regards Mick
That's pretty conclusive Mick, thanks for posting :beer: . Just curious - what is the small hole for though?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The hole in the end cap is an air vent to allow air to enter / exit as the plunger is operated I guess.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

In Scotland at the mo' but will take a look when I get home. Pictures a real help. Ironically I am using a modern lever action Tecalemit. It's a well made job.

Are you OK with me keeping your thread going with some pics of my grease guns?

Johnny B
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

where are you in Scotland Johnny? - if passing Taynuilt, Argyll - let me know and call in for a cuppa :-)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Down in the south west, the forgotten corner of Dumfries & Galloway at Newton Stewart. Rather too far off unfortunately.

Going to Ayr a bit later today. Quite a bit of Scottish history in Linda and my families, but that's around Aberlour and Huntly.

Thanks for the offer!

Johnny B
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Well, even having filled the old brass grease gun fully after three or 4 pumps it stops pumping, so I guess it needs a seals. Anyway I got myself a modern hand pistol gun instead. So, started on the two nipples on the steering head and have put in an awful lot of grease but still no sign of old grease starting to emerge on the far side of the bearing (at which point I would stop putting grease in). So, do I just need to keep pumping until I see some movement of old grease being displaced and just presume the previous owner did not pact the cavity that stem goes through? -what do other people do? :roll:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Does the end with the hole unscrew? Could be the washer is no good or pump is worn out, so pressure is expelled instead of pushing out grease. Mine don't pump much. I don't use them, just collectors items now. Use a newer big gun.