Fraudster targeting want ads

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clanger9

Fraudster targeting want ads

Post by clanger9 »

Hi all,

Following this post about a scammer targeting our club's parts wanted ads, I wondered: how they are reading the ads? Hopefully they're not a club member!
Then I noticed that the wanted ads are readable by anyone here: http://www.jampot.com/ads_G_PRIVList.asp?adtype=WAN

Is this a good idea? I realise that we'd want ads readable by as many people as possible, but given that this is an open invite for scammers, might it be better to put this page behind the website login?

Neither I nor Mike fell for this particular scam, but others may not be so fortunate...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: Fraudster targeting want ads

Post by Eamonn »

The original concept when setting up the advertising system was that a wanted advert should be published to as many people as possible to provide the greatest opportunity of finding the part you need.

If the club committee decide that this is no longer appropriate the system will be changed.

The basic questions is therefore:
If you are searching for a part, do you want to restrict the search to only club members or do you want to ask all interested parties?
Corners like a Lego man
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Common sense is important when answering to people who say they have something you want. I was recently approached via a wanted ad on this forum. The seller wanted me to put the purchase price in cash in an envelope and send it abroad.

Could be a scam, could be the answer to months of looking for that elusive part. i might have lost a lot of money or my project takes a great leap forward. Ho , hum, their will be another autojumble come up soon.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

I think I'm OK with the want ads staying public. It's not like we're being inundated with spammers or fraudsters.
Maybe add a warning on the website that the content is public - and to watch out for scammers?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS