Bike

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Peter236uk

Bike

Post by Peter236uk »

I am looking to buy my first Matchless I have always loved the ever since I sat on my Brother in Laws one many years ago. Work and finances have got in the way however I am now in a position to buy a Bike.

I have ridden bikes all my life but mostly modern jap stuff. I like the idea of G9 but pretty flexable and looking to buy a bike to ride and fettle with not interested in a concourse model.

I wonder could anyone point me in the right direction
GeoffR

Re: Bike

Post by GeoffR »

Hi, I'm surprised you haven't had any replies to this post yet....after all, most of us have opinions on motrobikes (and Brexit, religion, should England play a 4-4-2 etc etc).

I have only been a AMOC memeber for a little over a year and like you I have spent most on my time on Jap stuff so I'm new to the British bike scene. And like you I wanted something I could ride but also needed some tlc to keep it on the road. I deliberated about what to get...I really wanted a 1940s rigid, something like a Norton or Triumph, but they were too pricey. Then I began to think about ease of starting, riding and maintaining so I ended up with a 1960 650 twin (a G12). A Matchless probably doesn't have the panache of a Triumph or BSA from the same era but its a solid piece of kit, easy to start and maintain...and my wife likes the big comfy seat!

Having said all that, I'm about to buy a 1947 AJS 350 so I'll have the best of both worlds.

One thing I do know, a classic British bike is totally different to my Jap experiences and I never stop smiling when I ride it :)

Good luck, and let us all know how you get on.

Cheers
Geoff
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Hi Peter,
Not sure if you need to be a member to see it, but there's some very good advise on buying bikes under Forums and Buyers Guides.
Good Luck, Join the Club and good hunting there's lots of Gooduns and baduns out there.
I,ve got 6 and I,ve bought most of mine through the Wanted ads in this Club.
Excellent help as well.
Mike
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

I have to second the suggestion that you join the club - if you do get a Matchless (would an AJS do?) you will need to ask questions and seek advice. I've been a member for about 7 months, having got, like Geoff, a 650 twin; an AJS Model 31 in my case. Be prepared for a very different riding experience to more modern Japanese machinery, and they do need to be tinkered with, which is part of the fun. You may find your heart rate increasing somewhat the first time you need to stop in a hurry...

Malc
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Hi there.

If you put your location on your profile you may find someone who is moving a bike on local to you might contact you.

There are always bikes offered in the for sale section of the forum some of which may be of interest. Or you could find out where your local section meets, go along and have a chat to the guys there who may have or know of a bike being moved on. Be careful of certain on lline auction sites as sometimes things are not what they are made out to be.
It's all just riding motorbikes