Flip-up Helmets

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Andy51

Flip-up Helmets

Post by Andy51 »

Hi All, I need a new helmet and, as a spectacles wearer, a flip-up full face type would seem a good bet. A quick look online shows them from under £70 to over £600 - I want good protection but I only ride 1000 - 2000 miles a year so do not want to pay the earth. I place a high value on comfort and ease of putting on while wearing glasses. Any recommendations out there? Thanking you, Andy
bob121

Re: Flip-up Helmets

Post by bob121 »

I've used cabergs for years. They're in a good price range, especially if you get through them. I've tried some of the expensive offerings, but the extra cost far outweighed any extra quality. My current one is about to go in the bin. So I'll be looking for a replacement soon enough. Not sure if I'm going full face this time.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I too am a spectacle wearer and have just bought an HJC FG70 open face helmet. When I was 'shopping' I found it to be by far the most comfortable and the flip down visor keeps the wind off of my specs :)

Not a full face but worth a look if you're not committed.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Andy asking for helmet recommendations is like asking what oil to put in the bikes!!! :o You really simply need to get down to your nearest decent helmet shop and try every one out. I love Shoei but the wife doesn't as her head doesn't fit them nicely so she uses Schuberth, I detest them as the shape is terrible for my bonce! Best place for variety is Infinity Motorcycles, huge range and always willing to haggle on price.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

When we were at the NEC a few years ago, the club stand was next to the helmet testing group. They give out a list of helmets. I wanted a flip up, looked at the list and found that for the money, Nolan were the ones with the best rating, especially for the lock mechanism, as the Nolan held secure when many more expensive helmets such as Shoei were inferior. I paid £200.00, it is comfortable and not too heavy.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

This was subject of discussion a few months ago

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21054
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I've got a pair of shark evolines. Which I wear on alternate days to allow them to air out a bit.

Flip front and are legal and comfortable to wear open and closed they even have a sun visor.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

I originally had a Caberg, it was comfortable, but noisy. I then had a Schuberth C3 - very comfortable, very quiet, but expensive. I've also now got a Nolan, also very comfortable, reasonably quiet with built in intercom (to match the wife's). I use the Schuberth when riding solo and the Nolan when touring with my wife. We drove down (from Reading) to Helmet City in Chichester so not far from you. They had a wide range of helmets (wider than the branch of Infinity in Dorchester, Oxon) and were very helpful. All of the above had built in sun visors which I find is a bonus when wearing glasses, you can also easily flip up the sun visor and down as road conditions dictate, rather than sunglasses which have to stay on for the duration.
Jonny Astro

Post by Jonny Astro »

I wear specs, and have a Roof Rover - Google it.
Very comfortable, very quiet, and it feels like you're wearing an open-face type, since there's no obtrusive chin bar thing.

Jon