1948 16 M

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mac01

1948 16 M

Post by Mac01 »

Morning all, recently back on a heavy weight single after many years.
Its a 1948 Tele/Rigid 350.
Just a few basic questions.
What type of engine oil, mono or multi grade ? (its passing an oil mist out of the engine breather, on a longish run)
What type of lubrication for the Burman gear box and amount required ? (grease/oil mix ?)
Best position for the manual advance/retard when starting and normal riding ? (just off full retard when starting ?)
Also, did these machines have matching engine and frame numbers when they left the factory ? As I remember, my last 1954 350 didn't.

Many thanks, Mac.
Rob Harknett

Re: 1948 16 M

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think numbers can be confusing when the word matching is used. Numbers could "match" with those given in factory records, when the bike was built. They will not be identical. As far as I know only Wolverhampton built AJS bikes had identical numbers. Last year being 1932. The Frame, engine and gearbox all had the same number.
Bikes vary on starting, with all settings correct you will discover how easy the bike starts without spiting and kicking back. Which will be almost fully retarded. As the bike warms up it can be advanced to fully advanced when up to normal running temperature. Distance and time will differ summer and winter. Oil breather will expel oil mist. Stick to the basic oil requirements found in your bikes instruction & manual books. You can stick to summer engine oil if you do not intend much riding in winter months. Do not use modern multi grade detergent oil unless you know the engine is clean of sludge build up. Basic question answers are in your bikes instruction book. 48 & 49 AJS instruction books are not archived. Matchless 48 should do, but will have a magneto at the rear of the engine. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
Perhaps you should confirm the bike has the correct gear box.
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

I have a G3 !940 WO which is basically the same apart from the girder forks. I use straight SAE 50 mineral oil as per manual during the spring/summer and straight SAE 40 in cold weather.
Don't worry about the oil mist from the breather, if you put a rubber extension on it and angle correctly it over the final drive chain, it will lubricate the chain for you, who needs a Scott oiler?
If you have a Burman CP gearbox I recommend that you use Morris K4000 Semi Fluid Grease which is formulated for gearboxes using grease lubrication, it is available only in 3 kg tins and can be purchased directly from Morris Lubricants via their web site. I have found it to be an excellent product. The manual states that the Burman CP gearbox requires 8 ounces of grease per filling. I hope that this has been of some help.

Tommy RE
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Put a pipe on the breather as long as you keep it below the level of the breather. If not oil will pool and stop it breathing. Better if you have an oil tank breather pipe to take to the chain, where it will only go down hill. I have never bothered adding or changing the standard little breather pipe. Which does the job as manufacturers intended. I think any extension will have an effect on the breather working correctly. By having more pipe and fluid to expel air through.