10,000 bikes at Brighton Burn Up! This Sunday Sept 9th

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
alanjennings

Re: 10,000 bikes at Brighton Burn Up! This Sunday Sept 9th

Post by alanjennings »

Did 320 miles round trip on my 30 year old honda, it will cruise at illegal speeds but used more oil than my model 20!! Good weather, lots of punters but selling raffle tickets is hard work! Thanks to all who helped! I noticed that very few one make clubs were there .
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Thanks for coming down Alan, It is hard work selling the tickets but we did well enough, your help is very much appreciated.

Peter
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

alanjennings wrote:Did 320 miles round trip on my 30 year old honda, it will cruise at illegal speeds but used more oil than my model 20!! Good weather, lots of punters but selling raffle tickets is hard work! Thanks to all who helped! I noticed that very few one make clubs were there .
Well done Alan. By any measure that's a very respectable mileage in a day in addition to the hours on your feet 'whipping in' the passing punters to buy tickets.
Fortunately it has been glorious seaside weather which brought the crowds out...........if not their cash. As you said it seems to be getting more difficult each year to get 'em to part with their moolah. We had 15 bikes from section members on display. In previous years we lined them up on the prom right in front of the stand which forced punters to funnel in close to the waiting sales team, but the organisers insisted that this year we had to put them at the roadside to leave more room on the prom so they rather got lost among all the visitors' parked bikes.
A preliminary count indicates around £750 taken in raffle sales but no doubt Hon. Site Director Ray Woolford (he of this year's Basil Chilvers award) will post a final figure.

A couple of pics from the quiet spell early on with Ray looking eager (anxious?) to get 'em in...
2018-09-09 Ace cafe 2018 004.JPG
Some of the team of 12 on standby for their shift...
2018-09-09 Ace cafe 2018 001.JPG
Peter and Christine Morris, still doing their shift at the counter...
2018-09-09 Ace cafe 2018 007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

We sold £750 worth of tickets, just had information through that extra parking had to be provided and that was full to capacity by 11.30 The ACE cafe people estimate they had between 45 to 50.000 bikers arrive at Brighton . Big thanks to all involved with the Sussex Section Stand hope we did the club proud.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Seems a lot, Ray?
Alan [Morini] Jennings
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

That's their numbers, came via Keith Meadmore our member who organises the our stand with the ACE cafe people. If you read this Keith can you confirm or correct my message.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

I thought it didn't seem as busy as previous years too, guess my memory ain't as good as I thought. :roll:

What year was the 'just under a £1000 pounds' record Ray, was it not over 2 events?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

We had the raffle bikes at the Laughton Vintage Vehicle Show one year on the Saturday but had very poor sales and then took them to the Brighton Burnup on the Sunday. Not sure what year that was but from my Section Notes I've traced the following figures, but only since 2011......
2011................£520 ('Torrential rain and strong wind' it says in my Notes.
2012............... £770
2013...............£1021
2014...............£824
2015...............£?? (I assume) we were there with raffle bikes but I can't find the takings figures. Since none of the raffle takings were 'Section money' it's not recorded in our Section's accounts.
2016...............£690 (Excluding c£200 destroyed in fire)
2017...............£716
2018...............£751
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Ah, Thanks Nev. I thought I heard Peter saying that it was over 2 days, must've been that year.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I remember that one year we didn't manage to get the raffle bike down and hence struggled for sales. appreciate Roy an Geoff's assistance this year a good event and we still find locals with matchless or ajs that just need encouragement to join the club and section
well worth the effort and our major push to support the national club

2013 was the 2 day event , but its always Brighton sea front that gives most ticket sales

A great event and a chance to meet up with all the public that buy tickets despite not winning .
Its interesting to hear the stories of ' my dad had one just the same' then after a few minutes it turns out it was a Norton , BSA, Triumph