Andrew Engineering replacement wheel bearings.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Re: Andrew Engineering replacement wheel bearings.

Post by Rob Harknett »

LynP wrote:I would be interesting to see both the fitting instructions and to hear what the designer tells you. Also when I removed the cartridge from the hub, the dished washers that hold the seals looked a bit thicker and a little more squarely formed than the genuine parts I have removed from hubs in the past, so I was wondering if these came with the kit.
I just looked in my shed. I knew I had a bearing somewhere. it turns out to be for the rear wheel, but may give clues as to the front wheel bearing. The box had 3 parts as well as the bearing. Not sure if the extra parts are complete, as I got the bearing from a jumble stall very cheap, Even though marked up at £110. Here are the bits I got. It seems the spacer ring is important. As dimensions must be correct.
Front 0 bearing additional parts.JPG
I also had a drawing / instruction leaflet in the box, so now only looking for a front wheel drawing / instruction leaflet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

LynP wrote:I would be interesting to see both the fitting instructions and to hear what the designer tells you. Also when I removed the cartridge from the hub, the dished washers that hold the seals looked a bit thicker and a little more squarely formed than the genuine parts I have removed from hubs in the past, so I was wondering if these came with the kit.
That washer is squarely formed with small bevelled edges Lyn. It appears to be 4mm thick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I've spoken to him and he thinks it screws together. The bearings (4) are definately replaceable. The spindle is actually in 2 pieces, screwed together. he can't remember any more but is looking for some drawings. Malcolm will be able to help when he returns. The cartridge was supplied with new washers with larger ID but it used the original seals and dished holders. It might not be an Andrew Engineering spindle that you have, other types have turned up but they only have 2 small bearings.
Dave.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you Rob for taking the trouble to find the bearings. I have measured the cups for the grease seals I have now as just over 1.1mm thick, but as I do not have any old cups to hand I am working from memory when I say they look thicker and more squarely formed at the corners than I remembered. There are no extra spacers just the two plain washers that sit on the open side of the seal cups and the circlip for the groove in the hub. I think as you said early in this post that if anyone can find the instructions for the from set up as you have for the rear that would be great. I think who ever fitted this bearing into the hub had trouble due to some burring to the plain end of the shaft, which is probably why the bearings did not run smoothly.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Front hub bearing instructions now found, thank you Paul for these instructions.
http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=648
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you again to Rob and dave16mct for the information. I can say that the shaft I have should be an Andrew Engineering one because as the I would not be using the bearings, I took the rubber seal out of the bearing on one side and can now see that there are two rows of balls with should mean double bearings. Going on Dave's information I will see if the shaft will unscrew into two halves as soon as I get chance, I will do a post on what happens. As a once famous comedian used to say "learning all the time"
LynP

Post by LynP »

I have managed to dismantle the cassette type front wheel bearing I have and I think it is an Andrew Engineering one. It uses double row bearings, one in each end number 3202 RS which are OD 35mm ID 15mm and Width 15.9mm, the make on the ones I took out is WHX.
I placed the plain end of the shaft in a vice with soft jaws and then used a scrap fork slider to clamp the plain other end of the shaft, keeping well clear of the threads and unscrewed that end from the shaft which was quite tight, it turns out that the threaded end of the shaft is a sleeve that fits over main part of the shaft and has a short screw thread in one end which screws down the small thread which takes the nut and washer on the outside of the nearside fork leg. (I did use some heat to warm the shaft this may have helped loosen the grip of the thread and I hope the heat has not affected the metal of the shaft) Once the end of the shaft was removed the longer part of the shaft can be drifted downward out through both bearings and then the bearings themselves can be drifted outwards from both ends of the main sleeve. New bearings are easily available with the usual variations in price depending on the quality from about £9 each upwards.
I hope all this makes sense and will be of use to others, I will try to post some pictures.
LynP

Post by LynP »

I have placed some pictures of the bearings in the post war single section as I could not get it onto this topic. I have worked out how to re-size pics now so this one should be OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Lyn, I cannot find what you refer to as post war singles? Where you have placed more bearing pictures and additional parts pictures. Could you e mail me these pictures and any relating info. No need to bother about resizing etc. I can handle that. I could then add this to an updated PDF file to replace the one now in tech tips. So all the info is there in one place.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Rob Harknett wrote:
Lyn, I cannot find what you refer to as post war singles? Where you have placed more bearing pictures and additional parts pictures. Could you e mail me these pictures and any relating info. No need to bother about resizing etc. I can handle that. I could then add this to an updated PDF file to replace the one now in tech tips. So all the info is there in one place.
I have saved the picture of parts you uploaded here, but it is a very small 11kb file, the un resize pic would be much better.