Andrew Engineering replacement wheel bearings.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Andrew Engineering replacement wheel bearings.

Post by Rob Harknett »

Questions about these bearings do get asked. There must also be quite a few wheels out there with them fitted. Eventually for new owners to discover. So become confused when they are not what they expect to find, according the their workshop manual. Does anyone know if Malcolm supplied instruction sheets with these bearings. I guess I could ask him, but so could the bike owners. However, sometime in the future this may not be an option. Should there be instruction leaflets out there, perhaps copies could be sent to me. Subject to Malcolm's consent, perhaps we could put them in tech tips. As it is here info can be found more easily than searching the forum. I would make a clean file to lessen the work involved for Eamonn to upload the file in Tech tips.
spookefoote1956

Re: Andrew Engineering replacement wheel bearings.

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I thought Andrew Engineering were winding down the business?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Malcolm has retired, he was at Jampot rally selling off odds and ends.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Related to this post I have recently bought a set of used Andrew Engineering bearings but would like to know if the actual bearings can be replaced, I have tried to remove them carefully with no success, has anyone managed to extract these bearings?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The last post confirms there will be questions asked about these bearings by owners. So info will be needed.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

the bearings can be replaced . if you look very closely you will see the complete end section is screwed on to a 15mm shaft
double deep groove bearing fitted at each end og the shaft
look at the emd and you will see , suggest clamping one end securely and the heating the shaft to break the Loctite

good luck , not really designed for replacement

how may miles has it done ?
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you g80csp11 for the help. I have looked at the ends of the shaft but cannot see any thread except for the one on the end for the nut and washer that is tightened up against the fork leg. The outer races of the bearings will move in the outer sleeve if the shaft is tapped either end with a hammer, but it looks as if the inner races are pressed onto the main shaft and as you say would seem to be loctited, so will try heat there. I don't know the mileage they have covered as they came in a hub bought from an autojumble, but I thought I would have a try at replacing the bearings.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Malcolm's away at the moment, but I'll ask the member who drew out the design and has the first prototype bearing. This has done about 40 thousand miles now with no problems. It was designed to have replaceable, easily obtained bearings ( 2 each side, 4 in total). I'll ask him how they are replaced. The original instruction sheet just showed how to fit the cassette in the hub using the original grease seals. I've got one somewhere.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct wrote:Malcolm's away at the moment, but I'll ask the member who drew out the design and has the first prototype bearing. This has done about 40 thousand miles now with no problems. It was designed to have replaceable, easily obtained bearings ( 2 each side, 4 in total). I'll ask him how they are replaced. The original instruction sheet just showed how to fit the cassette in the hub using the original grease seals. I've got one somewhere.
Dave.
Just to add some mileage info, for which I cannot give a correct figure. A G3LS I brought when 9 months old did almost 100, 000 miles before the original bearings were replaced in 1960. They would have lasted much longer if they had been dismantled cleaned and greased more regular. In those days roads were not so good. Pot holes of filthy water and riding through flooded roads in winter. They were well and truly worn out and rusty.
LynP

Post by LynP »

I would be interesting to see both the fitting instructions and to hear what the designer tells you. Also when I removed the cartridge from the hub, the dished washers that hold the seals looked a bit thicker and a little more squarely formed than the genuine parts I have removed from hubs in the past, so I was wondering if these came with the kit.