Petrol Tank Sealant

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Stan Palmer

Petrol Tank Sealant

Post by Stan Palmer »

As this is a moving target with the continually increasing Ethanol levels, I thought I would ask for the latest experience of sealants. All the usual suppliers are offering Ethanol proof to current levels and up to 15%, though their are differences in the pre-treatments ranging from none at all to chemical rust removers to converters and primers. Its ten years since I did my AJS so I would appreciate any feedback. Incidentally the AJS has had no problems, though it is possible it has never seen ethanol as I use premium petrol which, until recently, I believe was Ethanol free. All of which is no use anyway as I cant remember which sealant I used !

Stan
ray.woolford

Re: Petrol Tank Sealant

Post by ray.woolford »

Hi Stan, I have used a number of different brands of tank sealent over the past few years. I have found the best one for me is the POR 15 system.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Not wishing to derail this thread but could members identify their reasons for using their recommended tank coatings please? I'm genuinely confused, I have just completed two restorations, (1961 and 1975), neither tank has had any internal coating and apart from very minor surface rust / dust I've not experienced any issue with corrosion. On the negative side, I've heard several accounts of coatings de-bonding and causing grief. Are coatings really needed if the tank is kept reasonably full of fuel?

Regards Mick
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

you are right unless you have a leak on the tank , you don't need to line the tank . again ive been running all my bikes unlined except those with pin hole leaks
Agree POR5 is best ( Ray actually does it for me )
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

g80csp11 wrote:you are right unless you have a leak on the tank , you don't need to line the tank . again ive been running all my bikes unlined except those with pin hole leaks
Agree POR5 is best ( Ray actually does it for me )
Interestingly I'm currently doing up the wife's Cub and the tank has been "resting" since 1995. The inside is a little crusty and I was going to clean it out and line it with Petseal (other brands are available) just to stop any left over yuk getting to the carb. So are you implying that I should only clean it out? :?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

The tank on my bike wasn't very pretty at all, with some old sealant flaking off, surface rust etc. I cleaned it all out as best I could, fitted fuel taps with mesh filters (there was a bolt sealing one side, and a tap with no filter on the other). I keep the tank reasonably topped up, and in the 1000 miles I've done since getting it back on the road I've had no problem.

Malc
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Reading comments in this posting of the tank sealant problems has echoed thoughts I have always had. I will however have to relate back in time to the 1980's. It was then the restoration of old bikes was in full swing. Products like tank sealant were being quite heavily promoted so used more. At this time problems caused by sealants also became a topic of conversation. Like how can I get the flaking stuff out my tank. A tank could only be sealed if it leaked. So really it was the point where it leaked that needed to be repaired. Dare I mention it. I was well aware petrol tanks could leak at the age of 6. The petrol tank on the lorry my father drove had a leak. As a temporary repair my father's Boss supplied Toffees. As sweets were on ration then I hardly ever had a toffee, so chewing the toffee until it was soft enough to stick on the tank was a real treat. The tank was eventually repaired. Move forward to the era when bikes started being restored. It seems it was expected of the restorer to seal the tank. Perhaps repair the tank would had been a better option. As it was known by then sealant can cause problems. I also heard stories from the engineers among us. They went, " the bottom of the tank was shot, I had to cut it out and make a new bottom " No mention of filling it with gunge called sealant. Which was not considered an option to repair the leak. So if a tank appears to be quite sound, consider a repair to cure a leak.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I am also of the opinion that sealants should not be used, I recently had pinholes in the top of my AJS M7 tank, this had no sealant. My tank repairer judged it not fit even for sealant, so he made me a new tank!
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

:D ;) ;) :) :rofl: So the judgement is that sealant is a load of rubbish, don't waste your money on it and it should be removed from the market asap and buy some Werthers Originals (other chewy toffees are available).
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

39speedtwin wrote:I am also of the opinion that sealants should not be used, I recently had pinholes in the top of my AJS M7 tank, this had no sealant. My tank repairer judged it not fit even for sealant, so he made me a new tank!
Wise decision Dudley. Repair or replace.
Try to seal and that's an on going problem blocked carbs and leaks, then expense, of re sealing and probably also re paint. Unless you decide enough is enough, it cannot be repaired so must be replaced. Think what agro you have done away with in doing so.