Broke a spoke

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
vincentvv

Broke a spoke

Post by vincentvv »

Hi all,

I went on a little trip with the matchy and the steib next to it. All went good but when I was home I noticed I had a broken spoke in my rear wheel. I removed the wheel since winter is coming and it needs a new tyre anyway. Can I replace one spoke or should the entire wheel needs balancing again? Any suppliers you recommend?
Not fired is always a misser!
ajscomboman

Re: Broke a spoke

Post by ajscomboman »

you can simply replace one spoke and check the run out, however the usual route to take when attaching a chair is to beef up the spokes to a thicker gauge. Also bear in mind that to go this route you will ave to drill the hub holes as well. Central wheels in Birmingham can supply all you need or you could contact Chris Willis of Willis wheels in Essex and see what he can supply, bonus is he's also a club member so will have a good knowledge of the type wheel you currently have.

Chris: www.williswheels.co.uk
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Hi Vincent! I regularly break spokes in the back wheel of my Vincent outfit, there is a lot of sideways strain with an outfit! Replace, carry spares on a long trip and check to see if all spokes have a similar tension. Cheers, Alan j.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

Super, thanks again for your wise advise!
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

As a teenager, I used to run a G9 with a Watsonian Avon sidecar on a big wheel chassis. Don't ever remember breaking rear wheel spokes, it was always spokes in the sidecar wheel that let go. Probably the lunatic way I drove the plot put a lot of pressure on the sidecar wheel in right hand bends :D
Bike013.jpg
Bike014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have also been lucky enough never to break a spoke when I had a 1951 BSA A10 combo for years in the early 1960's. Some mates have new Triumph's, they are notorious for breaking spokes solo use. Some had to go back to Triumph for new wheels. This was some time ago. Perhaps they have now over come that problem.
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Vincent. When I ran my 500 single with Busmar double adult sidecar I started by breaking spokes on the sidecar wheel. Changed the sidecar wheel to a rigid Japanese one. That cured it. Then the spokes started breaking on the bike's rear wheel. Never cured that just kept on replacing them. In my experience once one spoke goes the others tend to get stressed and more vulnerable at a later stage. The answer of course is to ride it more slowly but that takes away all the fun! While you have the wheel organised for spoke replacement you might want to fit a security bolt, as on a trials wheel. Otherwise the next thing you will experience is tyre creep round the rim under acceleration. You won't notice it til the valve is torn out. 😂 I did enjoy my sidecar days!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:Hi Vincent. When I ran my 500 single with Busmar double adult sidecar I started by breaking spokes on the sidecar wheel. Changed the sidecar wheel to a rigid Japanese one. That cured it. Then the spokes started breaking on the bike's rear wheel. Never cured that just kept on replacing them. In my experience once one spoke goes the others tend to get stressed and more vulnerable at a later stage. The answer of course is to ride it more slowly but that takes away all the fun! While you have the wheel organised for spoke replacement you might want to fit a security bolt, as on a trials wheel. Otherwise the next thing you will experience is tyre creep round the rim under acceleration. You won't notice it til the valve is torn out. 😂 I did enjoy my sidecar days!
Tyre creep. Now that I did get on my combo Clive. Money being tight, I got a couple of cheap trails tyres. They gripped well. 400 on the rear, and 325 on the side car. Tyre creep pulled off patches from mended punctures. Why did I not fit a new tube? They cost £1 then, nearly a days ages.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Vincent,
As Rob posted I would email Chris, as as a section we visited his workshop last week, he proved very knowledgeable and thorough.
He will probably be able to supply new spokes if you give him the length.
Regards Dudley
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

Hi all,

Thanks for all the answers. I spoke to Chris and he is helping me out! Thanks for all the tips. Had a great trip in holland, nearly 1000km on 4 days but we where loaded like a mule since we were camping everyday.