Amal monobloc thread repair

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
laxy

Amal monobloc thread repair

Post by laxy »

The threads on the top of the carb body are worn. The threads on the retaining ring are just as bad. My problem is the ring keeps unscrewing itself allowing the top of the carb to lift away from the body. Ive considered various silicones and sealants jubilee clip etc to fix the problem but would prefare a more profesional repair. Any one had this problem and found a solution that dosent involve buying a new carb.
clanger9

Re: Amal monobloc thread repair

Post by clanger9 »

Usually a new ring will do the trick if the threads are worn. Has it also got the retaining spring that stops the ring from unscrewing?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Aluminium foil tape will provide a temporary solution, as will PTFE tape, (for a shorter period), however you're eventually going to need to bite the bullet and buy a new carb, you need to weigh up the cost now with regard to the cost later.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If the carb has no ring then perhaps that is all that is needed. Even perhaps a good ring may hold on OK.
Groily

Post by Groily »

One thing you could do, if a new ring doesn't work and you want 'pretty', would be to recut and extend the threads on the carb body and make a new threaded ring a fraction undersize to suit, to fit a turn or three deeper onto the carb. I have done this in brass on a couple of occasions. It looks good, especially if knurled. But . . . it's a real labour of love and requires a lathe - and a lot of patience!
Braaap

Post by Braaap »

I have also done a Groily.

Filed the carb body threads a little deeper and made a new smaller I.D. ring with straight knurl.
Remember to knurl it before u bore it thin walled.
Stainless steel looks like nickle. Sweeeet 😊
Groily

Post by Groily »

Ha! Glad I'm not the only loony who spends hours doing things 'just because'! And yup, stainless is nice - just need to have some suitable lumps of the stuff lying around, which I never seem to when I actually want one!
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Nice SS jubilee clip works a treat.
Roy
LynP

Post by LynP »

An old trick was to use a jubilee clip as Roy says, but also to put a fine saw cut thought the side of the top ring, screw the ring down carefully and then put the jubilee clip on, when the jubilee was tightened it closed the saw cut and squeezed the ring on to threads.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Worked for me!
Alan [Morini] Jennings