Rejuvenating a Chronometric Speedo - PHASE 5

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Group Leader

Re: Rejuvenating a Chronometric Speedo - PHASE 4

Post by Group Leader »

39speedtwin wrote:I used a hot air gun on the input once the grease melted
That's a good idea and less invasive than my more "mechanical" means. I'll save that for next time!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Alan,
Herewith copy of Tool list and pointer lifters from Smiths service manual.
I made the lifters from 1/4 stainless bar flattened the ends and bent at 45 degrees and cut a notch, Thin card on the face, lifters under the pointer and with a little pressure off it comes.
Dudley
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Alan here are the copies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Thanks Dudley.

Unfortunately the images are just a bit too low res to make out clearly.

I made a puller for the needle that sits behind it and then a 2mm threaded rod with a point on is used to push on the end of the needle shaft. The Tacho I've just done had a solid needle centre so I couldn't use it so I resorted to a crude pair of needle lifters (two flat blade screw drivers pushing on a bit of card to protect the dial) which was OK as the needle wasn't too tight.

Just waiting for my next repair commission to come along - can't wait to get stuck in!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Alan,
New images, on medium won't let me load full size.
Dudley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

:beer:

Alan
Group Leader

Re: Rejuvenating a Chronometric Speedo - PHASE 5

Post by Group Leader »

A while ago a friend passed to me a Chronometric and a plastic bag full of Odemeter bits and asked if I could get it working.

Well, I've not taken an Odemeter apart before (and I didn't need to this time!) so I thought it was time to expand my Chrono knowledge a bit further yesterday, particularly as it was very damp and very soggy outside.

It's always more tricky putting things back together if you didn't take them apart in the first place but after some assistance from the Interweb and some trial and error I got it back together. A couple of the components are decidedly "iffy" and ideally could do with replacement. I might have to tap up a chap I know to see if he can help.
Whoops - Small.jpg
Bits - Small.jpg
Assembled - Small.jpg
Yet another cunning little mechanism and having tested it on my little test box, fortunately it now seems to work :)

So I suppose I'd better try and get the rest of it working now :D

Alan
clive

Re: Rejuvenating a Chronometric Speedo - PHASE 5

Post by clive »

Well done Alan keep at it. Don't forget about these diagrams in the archives. http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Spe ... _Views.pdf
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix