1957 M16 not running properly

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: 1957 M16 not running properly

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I'm getting there.

I decided as it's been standing for so many years I didn't want to risk riding on about 30 year old tyres. I'd had a bad experience before after buying an ancient wheel with an inflated tyre at an autojumble as a teenager. Having to repair the puncture at the side of the road when the tube let go wasn't much fun. Obviously it could have been potentially dangerous. Every day is a school day...

I decided on a compromise between handling as I won't be racing it through the lanes, and what looks right. I went for Avon Speedmaster and a Safety Mileage to match on the rear. I know they aren't as sticky as modern rubber, but at the moment for my purposes they'll be adequate.

It's been the first pair of motorbike tyres I have replaced for a long time-about 35 years. My Guzzis had 18" diameter deep alloy rims and I always used to get them fitted at the tyre depots as they were a pain to fit.

I dug out my old man's ancient tyre levers to remove them, starting at the valve area (a piece of p), after breaking the bead on the rim in a vice. The rear tube had a patch on it. Looking closely both tyres had signs of age with cracking on the sidewalls. It wasn't before time.

Fitting the new tyres was easy. Stretch the new rim tape into position after cleaning the rim. Pop one side of the tyre over the rim, put a few psi in the tube with a bicycle pump, putting the valve stem in position in the rim. Them, without using any tyre levers, ease the beading into the rim well. All I did then was to gently knock the bead over the rim using a rubber mallet, starting opposite the valve until I finished at the valve area, gently using a piece of two by one offcut wood to finish it to avoid damage to the rim or tyre.

Finally I brushed Fairy Liquid between the tyre bead and rim, made sure the valve sat squarely without any stress. The last job was to fire the compressor up and inflate it to correct pressure.

It took me about three hours, including refitting the wheels.

I'd forgotten how easy and satisfying it is to do this and making sure it's done properly.

I don't think it'll go fast enough to worry about getting the wheels balanced! :D
Expat

Post by Expat »

Aaah.....did you place the paint spot on the tyre adjacent to the valve?

Didya, didya??

:)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Depends on the the colour of the spot.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

..........and Fairy Liquid causes corrosion - best to use the right stuff. A tub lasts for ever.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

You're right, maybe I should have used my large tub of KY Jelly :oops:
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Plugsnpoints wrote:You're right, maybe I should have used my large tub of KY Jelly :oops:
True ............I find a tub of that lasts forever too ;)

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Well, generally I am very pleased with the old beast. I'm sure it's female though-a bit unpredictable at times but great to ride :lol:

The latest is, after removing and replacing the petrol tank to Helicoil a couple of Cycle threads, it's gone back to not wanting to pick up and popping and banging without wanting to rev.

I will attempt to resolve this another time. The only other thing I have 'touched' is the ignition timing when the tank was off. My fault but I was only trying to help.

It's definitely a girl-very sensitive when it comes to what bits you fiddle with, but I still love her :D

She's just sulking. I'll treat her to some service station flowers and a takeaway tonight. That normally works...
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Still smacks of a sticky auto advance / retard assembly.

Get it spotlessly clean and go over it with a good magnifying glass looking for burs or roughness on the contact surfaces.

Can you feel any roughness when you operate it by hand?

Regards Mick
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I reckon you could be right Mick.

I thought I'd sussed it the other week when I found big holes in the inlet spacer, so replaced that.

I'd love to find a good condition (new preferably, but that's very unlikely!) advance/retard unit. It is 61 years old after all.

I'll have a look in a little while. It was going so well recently.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi do you think it could be an air lock between tank and carb ? Only reason I say this is I had a similar problem after I had replaced a fuel line . Try checking and rerouting with a bit of spare fuel line . Worked for me .
Cheers Chris