1957 M16 not running properly

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

Re: 1957 M16 not running properly

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm not sure how much effect the additional foot lever has on these new stands but my original spring retracts the original stand and stows it in the retaining clip with a satisfying thunk.

Why not take your bike for a ride and see if the stand stays in the clip? If it's dropping out of the clip over bumps I'd get a new spring.

Regards Mick
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Too true Mick
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I'm not sure how much effect the additional foot lever has on these new stands but my original spring retracts the original stand and stows it in the retaining clip with a satisfying thunk.

Why not take your bike for a ride and see if the stand stays in the clip? If it's dropping out of the clip over bumps I'd get a new spring.

Regards Mick

Hi Mick, that's interesting. I never realised it was meant to click in the clip. Mind you. I haven't had the bike long. I might have to order a new spring and a clip, or at least bend it into shape. This one is a new pattern part but not the one with the foot lever.

Thanks for that :)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I've fitted a Rob Swift centre stand and it's a boon, money well spent.

I have had a little trouble with the stand dropping out of the clip but I think I'm the only one who has. The original stand always stayed up (steady there Chris and Sprid) but I probably had a tired spring and with the little extra weight of Rob's beefy stand and that I go over some quite severe potholes getting away from the lock up..............................

I will be altering it a little, as advised by Rob, because if just out of the clip I can ground it a tad on left handers. I will also be adjusting the clip.

I'd say there may be a difference between your pattern part and the original and amend the clip first because that's an easier job than the spring.

The original spring, stand and clip had been together for a long time (bought in mid 1970's) and are complaining about the divorce.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

I don't have a clip on mine and so far it hasn't been floppy. It has stayed up in position until otherwise required. I have however now taken delivery of the other missing items. All hail the mighty spares dept!
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I have now fitted the pattern centre stand bought from Roy Bellett at the Witham autojumble. I am very happy with it. It's not too stiff but stays up when mounted. I find it is easy to get up when I fancy a ride.

I admit to being a little concerned when I read the posts about fitting the stand, but I found it easy, and not difficult at all in the end. I'm sure the centre stand fitter wasn't the worst job in the AMC factory.

I readjusted (!)the holding clamp and away I went. It clicks in positively when erect and rolls off without a fuss. I almost don't feel the need to purchase a posh new centre stand with the lifting lever from the spares dept. for now anyway.

I still have all six fingers on each hand despite being brought up in a small village...

Thanks again fellas. :D
spookefoote1956

Told you it wasn't too difficult.

Cheers, Chris
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Told you it wasn't too difficult.

Cheers, Chris
Yup, you were right Chris. I appreciate your advice and the photos, it was much easier looking at your undercarriage (ooh err). It gave me a head start before I laid on my back getting covered in grease, oil and other nasty stuff. This forum is much better than a Haynes book I've decided! All good people :)
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

You have to laugh sometimes.

I spent the past few weeks prepping, spraying, then respraying the spare tank again when it curdled and crazed. I then spent ages applying the lining tape, painting the gold lines by hand. I wasn't happy with the way it looked so rubbed it down yet again and sprayed it once more.

I then let the paint harden off in the spare room for nearly a fortnight, then stuck more lining tape on it, spending a whole evening masking it off and hand painting the gold lines in enamel. It looks ok.

Like I say it isn't perfect but a vast improvement on what I had before. It's a good way to learn.

I took it out on Friday, then popped down to the local bikers café in Walton yesterday as it was such a nice day. It's running a treat now.

However I smelt petrol on my return.

Oh joy the tank has a tiny leak at the seam on the nearside on the curve near the headstock!

I have drained and removed the petrol tank in preparation of a repair.

It's all part of the fun and frustration of volunteering to get involved with such a machine I suppose. :) It'll turn out nice in the end... :lol: