1957 M16 not running properly

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ajscomboman

Re: 1957 M16 not running properly

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote:
ajscomboman wrote: The problem is increased if you use any modern low profile tyres as the diameter of the tyres is quite a lot smaller than original specs and subsequently the bike sit lower to the ground.
Hi Rob, thought I would do some fact checking and the above is only partially true:

Using an Avon SM for Reference a 3.35x19 front is 658mm diameter and a comparative 3.25x19 Road Rider is 664mm some 6mm larger or 3mm at the spindle (a 90/90 [647mm] would be a 3.00 [641mm] equivalent, 6mm larger again).

For the rear a 3.50x19 is 682mm diameter and a 100/90x19 Road Rider is 671mm some 11mm smaller or 5.5mm at the spindle.

These measurements are for new tyres once there is wear on them the difference becomes more blurred. Probably a large curry and a couple of pints would have more effect on the suspension compression and ride height than the tyres.

And yes I did keep grinding the arm on the bends in Luxembourg.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

ajscomboman wrote:[quote="Duncan And yes I did keep grinding the arm on the bends in Luxembourg.
[/quote]

Well lose some weight then and ride slower!!! :rofl: How come following you on my 500 I don't touch down and easily keep up, followed Wiggy without touching down and that's with saggy Jampots. Just move the arm in closer or you could grind a little more out of the stop notches and let the stand pull up further.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ajscomboman wrote: How come following you on my 500 I don't touch down and easily keep up
Because it cant go over 30mph and I have to ride slow for you to keep up :twisted:
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ajscomboman wrote:and that's with saggy Jampots.
No comment
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote:
ajscomboman wrote: How come following you on my 500 I don't touch down and easily keep up
Because it cant go over 30mph and I have to ride slow for you to keep up :twisted:
Yeah right! :rofl:

Don't be so lazy and move the arm to suit! :headbang:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Duncan wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:and that's with saggy Jampots.
No comment
Exactly what are you implying??? :rofl: :rofl:
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Well the head's back on now.

I had to fit a Helicoil to a knackered 5/16 thread in the head.

Tomorrow it should be running again. I replaced the fibre inlet tract block as it could be the poor running problem as it didn't look that healthy, fingers crossed.

My next question is what is the correct Lucas replacement wiring loom please?

I had an AMC3 sent through but this is wrong as it has separate lighting and ignition plugs. Mine has the PRS8 combined ignition/light switch.

It's the points/condenser alternator model (M16 350).

They make an AMC4 but this is listed for the alternator twins. Will this be suitable

Could anyone help please? I was hoping to fit a new loom while the tank and seat were off ;)
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Finally-it runs a treat now. I took the head off for a decoke as previously stated.

Whilst the head was off I ordered a new inlet fibre insulator spacer. There was the problem. It 'ad 'oles in it!

Earlier on in this thread someone suggested it could be an air leak in the inlet.

Because I never had reason to remove the spacer, and just made sure there was a good seal between the carb an the spacer I (wrongly) assumed it was ok.

It now pulls properly without hesitation, revs and ticks over as it should. My next task is to tackle the leaks on the feed and return oil pipes. I've already replaced the pipes with fresh new ones.

It appears to be coming from the unions at the engine end. I have been careful not to overtighten them to avoid disasters. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks lads and lasses :D
Janet

Post by Janet »

Duncan wrote:And yes I did keep grinding the arm on the bends in Luxembourg.
I hope you had elbow sliders on your jacket.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Janet wrote:
Duncan wrote:And yes I did keep grinding the arm on the bends in Luxembourg.
I hope you had elbow sliders on your jacket.
Fear thee not Janet I always ride in full armour:

It does slow the G3 down a bit though.