1957 M16 not running properly

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ChrisTheChippy

Re: 1957 M16 not running properly

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Sorry forgot to mention that it seems odd it happened again after you removed the tank .
Cheers Chris
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Hi Chris, thanks for your comment.

When I was riding it a few days ago it popped and banged a little, so I reset the timing as I'd marked it 'correctly' beforehand as a test. I've just had a play in the workshop and re advanced it a fraction as it was.

It started easily and revved freely in the workshop.

I also checked the tappets when it was warmed up a little, as it had done a few miles since the decoke and things have settled. The inlet was a little tight, so sorted that.

As it's a little chilly I decided against taking it for a spin! Plus the fact I hate riding it with the dismal lights at the moment!

Tomorrow should reveal if she is fixed again and doesn't throw a strop.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Woo hoo! She's stopped sulking and I took her for a little run today.

She starts easily, ticks over and pulls well now.

As I have previously stated I am really enjoying fettling with a great machine again. It's such good fun to ride.

I suppose the difference is years ago is I would have had to rely on it to get to work. If she plays up now I ignore her until I want to pay her some attention.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Great stuff ! Glad you got it sorted . Sounds like a summer of fun is heading your way :D . Nothing beats the feeling when they start to run right . Enjoy
Cheers Chris
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Thanks Chris. You're right, it's so satisfying when things work ok.

I'm so pleased I've joined the club as well.

It reminds me of a few months ago when a friend (a highly qualified engineer) was setting up the carbs on his ancient Ducati after a rebuild. I listened, and it all came back to me after many years away from fiddling with motorbikes. It was great when we had it running spot on just by ear-two heads are better than one etc...

That's why if I ask a question on here there's normally one of you who will hit the nail on the head, or point me in the right direction. I tend to walk away from it if I get frustrated and come back with a fresh mind.

Another thing is, when I've asked for things in the wanted ads I've also had success locating odds and ends which I've wanted after searching the normal outlets.

Fingers crossed now-it's working well with only small drips of oil which I won't be losing any sleep over. :)
raffles

Post by raffles »

Andy
if I had known how much pleasure you were going to get from it I would have charged you at least four times the price for a raffle ticket.
Happy New Year (Tony)
Raffles
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Ha ha! Thanks Tony! It's all good :) .

And a very happy new you to you too! :D

Andy
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Yesterday I rode it for 30 odd miles. It scared the crap out of me-not for the rip roaring acceleration (?), or the blistering top speed (!), but the yellow candle headlight on a B road! It's fair enough other people on the road can see you but having to avoid potholes in Essex isn't much fun.

I've been spoilt by my halogens on the car admittedly, but this reminded me of being a teenager riding my A10 to work, with poor lights and a single leading sponge to slow you down a little. Emergency stops were out of the question-I still have the scars to prove it!

Plus the fact it's started to miss and pop a little again. I'll look at it soon. Hopefully when the new/old advance retard unit turns up it'll sort that out.

It's still all enjoyable (most of it!).
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I appear to have finally got to the bottom of it. It was a little bit of everything I reckon.

What has made a big difference is I today fitted a much better condition advance/retard unit sourced from a member of the club. (I put an advert in the wanted section-many thanks Mick!). I soaked it in paraffin for a week to free it up then stripped it and lubricated it with with graphite spray before reassembly.

I followed the instructions to the letter when setting the ignition timing. It starts first kick, revs cleanly with no misfiring.

It's very satisfying getting things working ok after working methodically what was an unknown (to me anyway) motorcycle that had laid dormant for 24 years.

I guess there's a few others will agree.

My next task is to bleed the brakes...
Expat

Post by Expat »

Plugsnpoints wrote:

My next task is to bleed the brakes...

Hmmm......but do you know what the bleeding time is? :?:

:D
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)