1957 M16 not running properly

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: 1957 M16 not running properly

Post by Plugsnpoints »

It's not running at all now! :rofl:

I decided to take the head off to stem the oil leak (well, one of them!) from the pushrod tubes and do a decoke as it wouldn't hurt.

The valves hold petrol and the bore looks ok so I won't disturb them yet (it's got bags of compression anyway).

I can tackle the spluttering when I put it back together.

I've ordered a new wiring loom as it is tired.

I need to replace the tyres and tubes for safety as it's been standing a while-a little grunting and swearing but it's easy done with 19" rims.

I don't particularly like ditch finders (Speedmasters!) but for the miles I'll be doing they'll be adequate.

Unless anyone else could recommend a reasonable period looking pair of tyres? Dunlop TT100's used to be marginally better if I remember?

I'm enjoying giving the old girl a treat-she's cute, single and makes the right noises most of the time. :D
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Tyres area personal thing and asking for recommendations is like asking what oil to use!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

However as you not likely to be doing high mileage it'll come down to how fast you like to ride and corner. Mitas are a good price but rather skinny so I'd go for the 325 HO1 on the front and up the rear Mitas HO2 400 x 19 with the stiffer sidewall at £10 more. They corner well enough to grind the centre stand and are ok in the wet, good prices to. Avon Road riders are very good but premium price and low profile so they actually let you touch the centre stand down earlier! Avon Speedmaster and SM's aren't like they used to be and the compound is much softer and grips far more than it used to, again premium prices. Then there are Dunlop K70's like premium tyres do it all for a price.

I'm on my third set of Mitas and been happy with the road and knobbly range.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Oh the memories of having the Guzzi G5 (a 1000cc California style bike with screen panniers and half a ton of chrome) flat out making grindy noises on bends-great fun! The crank gave all sorts of gyroscopic effects, making you fight it on right handers, but terrific fun.

Anyway, back to subject. I'll probably be just plodding up and down the local lanes for now, (using almost all of the 18 BHP!!) and trips along the coast, despite living 1/2 mile from the beach.

My days of scratching (as my old man used to call it) are not an issue. The thought of me getting everything on the deck are in the distant future for now.

As I have stated in my previous posts, having come close to death in a non fault motorcycle crash at 40 mph has made me a tad wary at the moment, even riding round the block.

All I need is a soft grippy compound pair of tyres that look ok on the bike. I will have a look at the Mitas and the others, thanks for that. I admit to have never heard of Mitas.

I am absorbing lots of advice since joining the club just over a month ago. It's all good :)
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mitas, good tyre for the money, I've done thousands of miles across Europe on them loaded with gear and had no issues at all. Wet weather grip is fine as long as you don't go mad which you clearly have not intentions of doing. Vintage Tyres stock then but equally they can be found on ebay, not sure about them offering the stiffer wall option though. Vintage Tyres most definitely do though.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Plugsnpoints wrote:Oh the memories of having the Guzzi G5 (a 1000cc California style bike with screen panniers and half a ton of chrome) flat out making grindy noises on bends-great fun! The crank gave all sorts of gyroscopic effects, making you fight it on right handers, but terrific fun.
Sounds like my LE.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Yes its all that power Janet
Tony
Janet

Post by Janet »

Tony, you're right. A lot of people wouldn't be able to cope with it.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Avon Roadriders and yes, on one of the runs at the Jampot I did manage to scrape something on the ground.

I thought it was the Rob Swift centre stand not being fully engaged in the blade spring. It now turns out it was in the blade spring I was just too daft.

Can't over emphasise the tyre pressure increase required and which I hadn't allowed for with the more modern tyres. I think that may have been a factor in my off coming down Carter Bar on the way to Stirling Jampot. My ignoring the Met Office high wind warning and advice to avoid high level routes was a much more significant factor though.

I'm trying to calm down more. On the run up to Bishop Auckland and back this morning not over an indicated 65 at any point. Wear marks on the new Avon on the rear wheel nowhere near the end of the tread pattern unlike the one I took off. In fact despite having confidence in the Avons (which are a size up I think at 410) I find that for the first 5 miles or so I am cautious to the point of slowness.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote:Avon Roadriders and yes, on one of the runs at the Jampot I did manage to scrape something on the ground.

I thought it was the Rob Swift centre stand not being fully engaged in the blade spring. It now turns out it was in the blade spring I was just too daft.

Can't over emphasise the tyre pressure increase required and which I hadn't allowed for with the more modern tyres. I think that may have been a factor in my off coming down Carter Bar on the way to Stirling Jampot. My ignoring the Met Office high wind warning and advice to avoid high level routes was a much more significant factor though.

I'm trying to calm down more. On the run up to Bishop Auckland and back this morning not over an indicated 65 at any point. Wear marks on the new Avon on the rear wheel nowhere near the end of the tread pattern unlike the one I took off. In fact despite having confidence in the Avons (which are a size up I think at 410) I find that for the first 5 miles or so I am cautious to the point of slowness.

Johnny B
It's possible to touch down the arm on the stand John, I have in the Picos Mountains on banked hairpins but only when pushing on hard. The problem is increased if you use any modern low profile tyres as the diameter of the tyres is quite a lot smaller than original specs and subsequently the bike sit lower to the ground. To over come the issue the arm on singles and siamese twins can be moved in closer by 35mm . On twins with twin pipes it can only be moved in by 10 mm before it becomes too close to the silencer for easy use.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ajscomboman wrote: The problem is increased if you use any modern low profile tyres as the diameter of the tyres is quite a lot smaller than original specs and subsequently the bike sit lower to the ground.
Hi Rob, thought I would do some fact checking and the above is only partially true:

Using an Avon SM for Reference a 3.35x19 front is 658mm diameter and a comparative 3.25x19 Road Rider is 664mm some 6mm larger or 3mm at the spindle (a 90/90 [647mm] would be a 3.00 [641mm] equivalent, 6mm larger again).

For the rear a 3.50x19 is 682mm diameter and a 100/90x19 Road Rider is 671mm some 11mm smaller or 5.5mm at the spindle.

These measurements are for new tyres once there is wear on them the difference becomes more blurred. Probably a large curry and a couple of pints would have more effect on the suspension compression and ride height than the tyres.

And yes I did keep grinding the arm on the bends in Luxembourg.