1957 M16 not running properly

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Duncan

Re: 1957 M16 not running properly

Post by Duncan »

Chris, it looks like you are missing the frame/engine plate spacers off of your square section foot rest bar, and possibly the spacer under the centre stand spring.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Correct
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

My personal experience, after the off in Holland on the way to the Nijmegen IJR (long story) was that I couldn't ride the Matchless at more than 5-10 mph without going into a vicious snaking effect. Really off putting, particularly after just experiencing close contact with the ground.

When the ADAC guy arrived (looking rather like a silverback gorilla) I asked him to replace the nut that had sprung off the square bar for the footrest but which nut I had been unable to find. He couldn't see the point, didn't have any Imperial nuts (although plenty of muscle). It took all my courage to prevail upon him to wind on the closest metric nut he had. Wow! Muscle bulging everywhere.

Rode up the road, slowly increasing speed. Got to in excess of 60mph, realised I was in a residential area with appropriate speed limit.

He couldn't understand why it would make a difference. The reason is the square bar also plays a role in holding the bottom rails together and that's why there are those robust spacers without which the whole frame may possibly over time, start to flex.

Chris, I suggest that you get some spacers if you can and fit them, my experience was scary and wouldn't want someone else to experience it. At best it will relieve sideways tension on the top part of the centre stand.

Got a new bar and nuts but had to cut out the old one when back in UK, no way I could undo that nut.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Thanks Johnny, that is helpful. I will address that ASAP.

Cheers, Chris
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

spookefoote1956 wrote:Thanks Johnny, that is helpful. I will address that ASAP.

Cheers, Chris
Maybe Chris wants to experience the complete wobbly frame early Jap bike experience to match the front end? :rofl:

Seriously though, it's a caring attitude that deserves praise. There's some good people about. :)
spookefoote1956

Ooh, you are awful ..... but I like you! :rofl:
spookefoote1956

OK gents. I have ordered the missing bits from our beloved spares dept. To date I have not experienced any frame wibble other than my normal riding style. I am concerned as to the extra weight the bike will be carrying and shall hold you all responsible if I am overtaken by marauding milk floats.

Seriously though, thanks to all for the heads up.

Cheers, Chris :beer:
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

So, I attempted to fit the pattern centre stand to my trusty (rusty?) steed today.

I had to grind a little high spot here and there to make sure it wasn't catching and swung up and down easily, that was easy.

I fitted the return spring and that's where I hit a snag. But you all knew that didn't you? :rofl:

I had no problems hooking it over the anchor point, then the stand itself, exactly as it came apart.

It seemed a little weak, but it did return. I wanted to know if the spring needed pre-tensioning by turning it a full 360 degrees before hooking it on?

Or do I just need a new spring? I've been trying Jubilee clips and a piece of pipe cut in two, but decided it was a bit dangerous when I started to get tired!

I have read several posts on this subject, but would still appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by Plugsnpoints on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spookefoote1956

Is the spring holding back or is it floppy, fnaa, fnaa? As long as the stand's going back and staying there is what counts. I never had to wind the spring to tension it. Can you take a pick to show it insitu?

Cheers, Chris
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Thanks Chris. I think you've just saved my fingers, eyesight and sanity! I reckon the neighbours were getting suspicious about all the grunting and swearing!

I was getting a little concerned that I had done something wrong. I must have a slightly weak spring.

I can reassemble it now, then order a new spring amongst other things I dare say I will need for the old girl!

If I get a chance I'll post a photo tomorrow.