New boy...bike choice advice

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
NickG58

New boy...bike choice advice

Post by NickG58 »

Hi,
I am new to the forum. I'm in the process of choosing my first Matchless or Ajay having finally got 'permission' and thought I'd ask for advice.
I realise that there'll be a wide range of opinions as everyone has their favourite.
I've narrowed it down to either a G11 (model 30) or G12 (model 31) 1957 or newer. I'm looking for a fully restored bike that needs no work initially (of course it will to keep it in good fettle). Reliability is top of the list over performance. As you guys will no doubt know the prices of good 600 and 650s is going up and seems to have taken quite a jump lately. There are a couple of bikes (G11 and model 30) I like the look of that are both dealer machines and are just over £6000 which seems high but they look to be all correct etc. From what I have read the 600 may be a better option than the 650.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick
oldandsmelly

Re: New boy...bike choice advice

Post by oldandsmelly »

ooh! that's risky asking people what's the best bike. If you ask 5 owners, you'll likely get 6 opinions.
I have a 1960 650 which I've ridden about 3000 miles this summer with only maintenance needed. My 650 has very little vibration and I would happily go long distance touring on it without worrying. It'll cruise all day at 60 to 70 mph although the brakes aren't brilliant and that tends to limit how fast I ride.
I've never ridden a 600 so can't comment on them although I imagine the differences are small.
Personally, I prefer a magneto bike as, once set up, you're fairly immune from electrical problems.
I bought my bike through the club adverts and I would recommend that. Club members tend to be more realistic as to what the bikes are worth and you can normally get a bit of history with the bike.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Why not take a look at the clubs web site there are some nice bikes there.

http://www.kettering-classics.com/store ... y=recently
Roy
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

I echo oldandsmelly's advice; he and I have similar bikes. As Roy says, take a look at the Kettering website; I just had a look, and there are currently 7 twins listed (6 if you're not interested in a 500).

I see you're in Surrey. The Club Sections page lists two Surrey groups, one in Dorking and one in Woking. It could well be worth going along to one of their meetings and having a chat.

Malc
Last edited by MalcW on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive

Post by clive »

I think its one Surrey section with two different places that they meet at, different times in the month (one jointly with Norton owners I believe).
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

I would always prefer buying from a private seller that has owned the bike for a few years. At least buying this way gives you the chance to make some judgement of the machines history, if this is backed up by any documentation or receipts this is a bonus. One of the problems when buying from any trader is simply that the trader will have little or no knowledge of the machines history, nor are they likely to highlight any known faults. I know this from my own past experience.
There are some good buys to be had direct from the owners advertised on the clubs for sale pages. Also the Car and Classic web site is a good source for machines being sold by private owners. I have recently bought a fine machine at a very fair price from a private seller on an auction web site.

Here is an example of one bike advertised in the Jampot members, for sale section. It looks like a nice well sorted G80, (500 single), at a very fair price.

1953 Matchless G80 S. In Black with 2,699 miles. Good condition, taxed, MOT. £3,200. Phone FRED on 01709542461 or email on fgething136@sky.com
OK it's not a twin, but these are lovely bikes to ride.

OR

AJS Model 30 1957 (1st reg.07/03/58). Reluctant sale due to bad legs. Owned since 1998, 2 mates owned it from 1966. All original including paintwork (tank relined in gold) Fitted with later front mudguard (bought from AMC in 1966) has ally primary chain case. £4000 ono Phone Dave on 07890 186786 ajstwin@sky.com

Looks like a nice clean bike.
Have a look at the for sale section. Happy hunting.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I have only just acquired a Model 30. If I'm honest I hadn't heard of these before, but it was fate. (I'll tell you the story if you message me!).

I had an A10 as a teenager in 1983/84 and this has a very similar feel. I had a Guzzi 1000 for many years and to get back on a British bike is like wearing an old pair of slippers if you get my drift?!! It always starts, pulls well.

The brakes are adequate if I'm careful, and the 6 volt lights are not suitable for riding at night in modern conditions, especially due to the potholes. I wish it had a fifth gear too ha ha!

I love it, it is stable and feels bigger than it really is. A proper, well built machine which can keep up with traffic on the B roads which is what it was made for.

It's great looking and good fun :D
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Welcome Nick, either would be fine, you need to think about how you are going to use it and what your expectations are for it and then go for the one you really like the look of.
clive

Post by clive »

£6000 seems a bit steep. The clubs own sales section has twins and others get advertised here for less. The 650 flaws will probably have already occured in any bike you buy 60 plus years on. Having said that i have a 600 twin i really like, having ridden 500 singles for 30+ years before i bought it. Keep an eye on the club adverts and assume whatever you buy, private or dealer may still require a bit of work. Its worth it though.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

I paid £3600 for mine from a dealer, complete and converted to 12v but a non runner 'needing fettling' after being unused for some while. No warranty obviously, but a gentleman's guarantee that if something serious showed up I would either hand it back for a refund, or get some compensation. All I absolutely had to do was clean out the fuel tank, clean up the clutch, and change the engine and gearbox oil. Plus go round all of the greasing points. I also decided to get the magneto rebuilt, and I changed the carburettor from the concentric to the correct Monobloc.

Malc