Wet Sump Oil Stop

General purpose topics/chat goes in here

Re: Wet Sump Oil Stop

Post by 1608 »

Just a quick addition to all the good advice above, try re-positioning the kickstart a bit lower. This will make it a bit easier to kick down and it won't interfere with your leg.
One other thing. You say the anti wet sumping switch is "up" on and "down" for off. I'm not familiar with that type of switch but, make sure there is no chance of the switch turning itself off ie. by going to the down position with engine vibration. If so, then see if the switch is reversable, up for off and down for on.
Last edited by 1608 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Spriddler, excellent, I was running and starting with full choke, eased it off when I thought it was running too hot. I will check the mag and I'll tell you how I get on next run, all the best
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Hi John, thank you, I'll try that too, the engine does also have a tendency to lock when I'm kicking it over, freed by a little rocking when in gear or pulling in the valve lifter, if lucky, I did get a bit hot and bothered when dressed for a ride, and it conked out when I forgot to turn the petrol on, durr...
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Cjay59 wrote:Snaps, sorry snatches a bit when I let it out after changing gear, the bike lurches forward, not quite as smooth as I would like!
There could be a number reasons.
The obvious is that the inner cable is not running easily in the conduit (the outer). You've fitted a new cable so perhaps it's routed with tight bends. This would also make the lever action very heavy. A good test is to run the clutch cable 'outside everything' even though the bike would not be rideable like that but it would highlight how much extra resistance is in the cable itself when the cable's routed for riding. Often a surprising indication of how much the cable routeing affects the action.
------------------------

B52 clutch?

It could also be due to wear on the clutch basket leaves making the clutch plates 'hang up' before going fully home. Old and weak springs won't help.

It could that the clutch thrust rod is sticky with rust, old grease, or bent.

It could be that the clutch needs adjusting. The adjuster on the cable adjusts the cable, not the clutch. If there's too much free play at the pressure plate adjuster screw the clutch operating balls will overrun the discs between which they operate. This is usually accompanied by a notchy 'click' when the clutch handlebar lever is pulled right in. Cure by adjusting the pressure plate adjuster screw to half a turn unscrewed from when fully in contact with the thrust rod.

Others may have further tips.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Cjay59 wrote:Hi John, thank you, I'll try that too, the engine does also have a tendency to lock when I'm kicking it over, freed by a little rocking when in gear or pulling in the valve lifter,
It's purely coincidental that you find 'pulling in the valve lifter' frees the lock-up. ;)
The occasional locking up you describe is normal and easily sorted by pulling in the clutch lever and operating the kickstart a couple of times. It is usually due to wear or mis-engagement of the kickstart pawl. You could grind down the first tooth on the kickstart pawl but it just isn't worth the bother of doing that.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

I've now done about twenty miles, back and forth to the test centre. The bike is now imported and fully legal on the road, I had a V5C, they did a visual check, and a historical vehicle check, and asked if it had been changed in any way, I showed them a picture from the 56 brochure, all passed and there was no import tax to pay as it's classed as a historical vehicle.

Starting has been good, three kicks with the valve lifter and one to start, getting the hang of it. The engine locking not such a bother when it's starting so easily. So thank you for all advice and support. Will look at clutch adjustment later on in the spring when I will concentrate more on the riding. Getting it through the test was my first concern.

The engine oil is running well, the lever turns out to be, up for on, again thanks for the help, I didn't want it to over heat, and the SAE40 does seem to have stopped the drips, best wishes Cliff.