Wet Sump Oil Stop

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: Wet Sump Oil Stop

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Much like you: Given a non-running 350 Matchless at 14 in 1959. I just loved everything about it even though I never managed to get it started (only 8 stone wringing wet and didn't have a clue). Came home from school three weeks later and because it made the garden look untidy my mum had given it to the rag 'n bone man. I was distraught and vowed I'd have another, which didn't happen for 40 more years although several ride-to-work and competition two and four-strokes filled the gap after I was 16.

Ref the oil......a much discussed (to death)....topic on here.....
Have a look at the link below for your Owners Manual (and also the Workshop Manual and Spares List). Manuals don't mention 'modern' multigrade. Some use it but I only used it once for topping up during a 2 month foreign tour when I couldn't get any monograde.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/
What year is it? Around '54 or '55? ......full width rear hub, Jampots, manual Adv/Ret magneto........... :? The '55 model (after Aug '54) had auto Adv/Ret. (Or it might a collection of parts).
If you buy a new clutch cable be aware that if your handlebar lever has a cable adjuster the standard cable is unlikely to fit ;)

If you drain the oil (c/case and tank) it can take up to 4 or 5 minutes at just above tickover, no more, before you see oil returning to the tank as the oil has to collect up to the c/case return gallery level before being pumped back to the tank.. ADDED: You can speed up the oil return (and keep the blood pressure down) before the first start-up by pouring a cupful of oil into the rocker box so that drains down the pushrod tubes into the c/case and you can also fill the oil filter tunnel in the oil tank. (Sorry to go on. I'll stop now ;) )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Hi Spriddler, I had just popped onto the carpet in '59', mothers!

The frame was dated by Roy as a '57', road model which originally housed a 350, so I think it is a late '56'. The engine is stamped as a '53' 18s, but it has a Whitworthy alloy barrel.

The gearbox is a Burman B52, Steve at AMC Classic Spares, who was recommended by my friend Rob Wicks in SA, who runs a 18s amongst other machines, was very helpful and has sent me a clutch cable to try out, it doesn't have an adjuster on the lever, but one coming out of the box, I have it but haven't tried it yet, nearly there though.

It has a Adv/Ret handlebar lever, with a felt pen 'in the zone" alignment mark. A valve lifter and a air lever. The Magneto is a Lucas Wader (Green label). It started after about three kicks, cold, and that was the first time I had ever tried. It did lock up (on the kick start) and I used the valve lifter to release it, it feels like you use the flywheel to to chug it over.

So I think someone has built a '56' look alike, it was described as a Trials, but I'm hoping it has road gearing, the cog on the back is about 42T, that's just a rough count?

I also found the kickstart annoying on the back of the leg and from an old post I saw you had changed one through Terry some years ago, he's still around so advice there would be a big help?
AJS 18CS 1956 500cc.png
And thanks very much for going on about the oil change, help, help, please, I'm quite nervous about a big 4-stroker, all new, we had a couple of exchanges about the 2-strokers and on the 'Fifty years old, AJS Stormer' thread, I posted you a pic of the old Hawkstone Park crowd.

all the best, Cliff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Cjay59 wrote:The gearbox is a Burman B52, Steve at AMC Classic Spares, who was recommended ...
A top man for help and parts.
It did lock up (on the kick start) and I used the valve lifter to release it, it feels like you use the flywheel to to chug it over.
The k/s pawl can often lock up making the k/s lever feel solid/jammed. If it's that then you can free it by operating the k/s lever with the clutch lever pulled in.
the cog on the back is about 42T, that's just a rough count?
Refer to the docs in the link given.
I also found the kickstart annoying on the back of the leg and from an old post I saw you had changed one through Terry some years ago,
I don't think it was me...... :?

'Whitworthy' cylinder barrel?
Did you mean Wellworthy?
WellworthyCylinders (640x576).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Nice bike Cliff. Looking at oil tap as best as i can make out. It looks like a standard ball o fix type with a brass operating rod attached to the lever. Usually you'll find that the operating spindle is a rectangle with a pressed steel lever attached by a nut. When the rectangle spindle runs in line with the tap it's on, with the rectangle spindle across the body it's off. You may have to remove the nut holding the lever to gain access to view the spindle which should then let you see what I'm on about. As for the lever I don't find mine a problem but neither do I have it set vertically, mine are all set to the 11o'clock as opposed to 12 as it digs in the calf. The kickstart locking is par for the course on Burman boxes and you simply have to lift the clutch and reset it. The dodge is to grind down the fist tooth on the kick start quadrant but that needs the box to come apart, even then it doesn't always work so I'd stick to freeing with the clutch.

I suspect the gearbox will be standard unless you're really lucky to have very rare trials gears. For 56 the CS models all had road gearing anyway and only altered it with engine sprocket ratios. The G3C kept trials gearing (guess who has some?). ;)

Terry is about but doesn't list the Burman box lever so I guess it's made to order only now. I'd try moving it backwards before diving in. He's 8 miles from me but I've never bothered going over to his place despite knowing him for more years than I care to remember, strange isn't it?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Cjay59 wrote:It started after about three kicks, cold, and that was the first time I had ever tried. It did lock up (on the kick start) and I used the valve lifter to release it, it feels like you use the flywheel to to chug it over.
Starting a 'big' long-stroke single is a bit of an art. Always keep your right knee bent. From the '57 Owners Manual, here: (Obviously you don't have an ignition key to worry about)

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... models.pdf
Single starting (568x368).jpg
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Never used that starting method Nev. I usually tickle the carb, bring the motor to TDC, lift the valve lever till it just goes over, tickle the carb again and whilst holding the valve lifter open hoof the kickstarter and drop the lever as it half way through the stroke. Fires everytime and spins the motor over quicker. Never have to jump on the lever (not surprising given my stature I know) I just find it more mechanically sympathetic to the kickstarter mechanism. Times I've watched Alan (Essex) Jennings and Dudley kick the shit out of their 500's and seen the lever fall off, none of them use the lifter despite me showing them. Crafty buggers let me do it in Portugal as well despite my bad feet!!!

PS I do look like the picture posted the other week! One foot done and the other in Feb next year all being well.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I'm going to give that a try!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Rob, I'm pleased you did not use my name in vain as I certainly do know how to use a valve lifter, having kicked my Vincent over for over 40 years!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

alanjennings wrote:Rob, I'm pleased you did not use my name in vain as I certainly do know how to use a valve lifter, having kicked my Vincent over for over 40 years!
I know that that's why I had to make it clear. :D
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote:Never used that starting method Nev.
I referred Cliff to the Owners Manual partly to make him aware of the manual, partly since being a 2-stroke owner he hasn't had a valve lifter and partly because I was too lazy to type out my way.
Russell in our section has a party trick of starting his 500 single by hand but I wouldn't recommend it :shock: