Whatever happened to Nomdesplume?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
spookefoote1956

Whatever happened to Nomdesplume?

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I remember a character from the mid-eighties when I was first a member who used the above name. Does anyone else and is he still active with Nursey?
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
spookefoote1956

Re: Whatever happened to Nomdesplume?

Apologies, he was called Nom de plume. This was when Jampot was only in paper format. If I remember correctly he was quite contraversial in his opinions and a big supporter of the alternative rally which was in its infancy at the time. Did Frank Westworth edit the Jampot then?

Weird init, the things that pop into your head!
les ward

Post by les ward »

I remember it well. I think Nursey was replaced by couldn't care less in the community and the ducks were floated off on the stock exchange.
I always suspected Bob Boaden was the writer.
spookefoote1956

I remember a few names being in the frame.
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Over the years Jampot has had lots of anonymous columnists. Personally I am not a fan. I believe if you dare not put your name to an opinion you shouldn't air it. But what do you the jury think?
spookefoote1956

Is the jury anonymous or can we knobble them? Interesting you should raise that point Lawrence. On the VMCC forum you can't use a pen name like here. You have to use your real name to avoid anonymity. I happen to use spookefoote because it's a nick-name given to me in the early eighties. There was a comedian called Emo Philips who used to say "spook" a lot. My socks at that time were dayglo and one night during an evening of indulgence I declared in a Scottish accent "spook me footes" and the name was born.

My real name of course is Princess Margaret.

Cheers, Chris
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

lawrence wrote:But what do you the jury think?
Not part of the "jury", but my thoughts are....

Over the years there have been a number of columnists who have written under a pseudonym, if I recall correctly, they have all taken a "tongue-in-cheek" style of commentary on both aspects within the club and in the wider 2 wheeled world.

Providing comments are not abusive and not of a personal nature, I don't see a problem with having someone giving an alternative point of view. It provokes discussion and may well give rise to an out of date process being reviewed.

A letter in jampot that highlights a particular issue can result in the author having a series of negative (and sometimes personal) comments back, whereas a comment that is not attributed to any one person isolates the author from public debate. Remember that these types of columns are not from an anonymous source - the editor will know full well who is supplying the article. This is very different to someone writing in and not supplying their contact details.

Personally, I would welcome a return from "Nom Des Plume" or "From the outside" or any of the others that I forget....!
Corners like a Lego man
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

spookefoote1956 wrote:On the VMCC forum you can't use a pen name like here. You have to use your real name to avoid anonymity.
Any member can view the Profile of anyone using a Forum nom de plume, Spooky, and see their 'real' name, Chris.
If they're not a member, they won't be able to but does that matter as they won't receive the Jampot articles?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

however nom de plume was pre the internet. Shock horror, did the club exist then? You could not even click on the A5 black and white Jampot to find out who it was.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Some have been hidden did we ever find out the true ID of. Off The Rails. ;)
Roy