frame under tray of G2

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Morbec1

frame under tray of G2

Post by Morbec1 »

Any information regarding the set up of the under engine tray of the Matchless G2 I have both maintenance instruction and spares books both seem to miss out on details of this tray would any member have photographs drawings of the set up showing footrests and main stand, in the maintenance book there is a very poor photo and a limited write up.
Rob Harknett

Re: frame under tray of G2

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think this question needs a question asked first. Should this tray you refer to which is not mentioned in the parts list, because there is no " Tray " be referred to as Engine cradle ? If so please see picture below. The engine rests in the cradle in which holes will line up with engine stud holes. There is also a centre stand fitted. In the picture you will see one bike front of engine cradle with the stand down. behind that another bike showing the rear end of the engine cradle with the stand up. If you have some sort of additional tray, you may as well throw it away, unless using the bike for trails. Which may have also had the stand removed for ground clearance. Best pic I could get, without getting bikes out and laying them over.
SDC15098.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morbec1

Post by Morbec1 »

Thanks Rob yes I am referring to the cradle thanks for the photos my cradle has a damaged bent footrest bar the damaged bar is welded to the underside of the cradle which I think is wrong I have purchased a new replacement bar but cant see how it fits and how the main stand fits onto it I hoped that the works manual and the spare parts books would show a clear view but they do not there is one photo in the workshop manual but is very poor and I cant see sufficient detail.
Phil
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

This article is probably the nearest you'll get: http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Spe ... _2004..pdf
Either that, or some friendly Lightweight owners will be able to post photos of how theirs fits together (I can't help, 'cos mine has non-standard rearsets)
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

This might help
C stand.jpg
Courtesy of David Baker(aus) via Simon Hoskins
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Morbec1

Post by Morbec1 »

Up date, thanks to the help I have received I fitted the cradle and the new footrest bar, just need the measurements of the long spacer which sits in the middle of the cradle and the footrest bar passes through it also the measurements of the two end spacers that fit on each end of the footrest bar. On writing this it just came to mind that I can get the measurement of the long spacer by measuring the width of the cradle at the point of the hole that takes the footrest bar. Again many thanks to all those that have advised me.
Morbec1

Post by Morbec1 »

Just reading the item Clanger referred me to it looks like I have a small but important section of the cradle missing, its the section with a bar protruding from it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Morbec1 wrote:Just reading the item Clanger referred me to it looks like I have a small but important section of the cradle missing, its the section with a bar protruding from it.
This may help, not mine but courtesy of a member on here when I was sorting my model 8
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Morbec1

Post by Morbec1 »

many thanks Paul with all the other information and now this photo I think I have a mental picture of the set up. One main point is I am missing that small section of cradle I bet it will easier to find rocking horse manure.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

That bit of section comes up fairly often. Dont panic yet.