New member.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
NaughtyNetley

New member.

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Hi to all from a new member.
I hail from Cornwall and I have been riding mainly Japanese bikes for many years.
A couple of years ago an old friend bought a Norton 500t with sidecar to do local and not so local trials after a lay off of many years. I was invited into the chair to provide some ballast.
Enormous fun was had by all and I was tempted to try it myself, though as a solo. I bought an old(ish) Spanish trials bike and after much work getting it running I did some local trials.
I have also, on borrowed bikes, entered a few road trials and have now decided that that's something else that would be fun to do.
Just joined to do some research and this club was recommended.
Neil
spookefoote1956

Re: New member.

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hello and welcome Neil. I went to Cornwall for the day once and came back with a G80 engine!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi and welcome, it is a fine club, plenty of help and good advice to be had.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Hi and welcome. I only recently joined and already 'met' a few good people on here and in real life. It's a friendly club and there's some knowledgeable people for help and advice, who will point you in the right direction if they can't help. It's all good :D
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Neil.
For research have a browse of all the techy manuals, editorial, promotional and historical articles here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

That site and documentation is maintained privately and you may wish to make a donation if you make the very wise decision to go ahead with an AMC single.

A 350 or 500 single will do everything you need from a classic bike; extensive foreign touring, camping rallies, Sunday runs etc. as many of us can assure you, but as you are no doubt aware, unlike modern bikes if you want to arrive somewhere sooner set off earlier, and leave plenty of room for stopping.
You'll get any help you need on here but join up as your access to much of this site is available to members only.
During my many years on this site I've read of (and helped) too many new owners who have been sadly disappointed with their purchase. Don't ever rely on what a dealer (who has probably never ridden it more than round the block at most) tells you e.g. "Reliable runner", "Used regularly", "Fully restored" etc. Always assume there'll be work/cost involved to get it right. The person who sold the bike to the dealer is unlikely to have told him that it's been nothing but trouble and he'll be glad to see the back of it.
Buy from a club member if you possibly can. This Club's bike sales by Kettering Classic Bikes may have something suitable. There are a couple of members in Cornwall so if you can get to meet with them it will be a bonus.
Good luck.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Additional thought if you are looking to buy from a club member you will be looking at the club adverts. As a guest member you will not see the adverts until 3 weeks after they have appeared in the club magazine. Because of the lead in time for the magazine this means they may have been on the website for paid up members to view for as long as 7 weeks before you can see them. Also your rights to ask questions on the site as a guest is limited I think to 90 days. If this is your first vintage bike, even if it really is a reliable runner, I would agree with Spriddler that it is still likely to have some things that will need sorting out and you may well want to access the thousands of combined years of knowledge on the forum once you have purchased your bike.
Adverts Ed
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
NaughtyNetley

Post by NaughtyNetley »

Thanks for the advice. I have actually joined the club but it wasn't showing as I had used a different user name for the forum!
All is rectified now thanks to the admins.

I owned a 1976 Bultaco until recently and that was a lesson learnt or so I thought. I now have a Montesa 349 which is a rolling project so spanners aren't strangers in my hand. I will have to buy some new/old ones though.
I have a knowledgeable friend who will, hopefully, save me too much pain though prices are higher than I thought.
I will keep scouring the for sale ads.
Neil
clive

Post by clive »

Neil you are showing up as a member now and should have full access to the adverts, you could even place a wanted ad yourself. Welcome to the club
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Hi Neil, I was down your way back in September for the VMCC Cornwall Rally Week held at the Monkey Tree Holiday Park, one of their local members is also a member (sorry can't remember his name) of the AJ club so it may be possible to make contact with him. I think he has a single so he may be able to of help to you. MikeM.