1956 G3LS - Flywheel Driving side Axle

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ksj_LAPSED

Re: 1956 G3LS - Flywheel Driving side Axle

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

dave is the bloke to go to send me a PM if you want his number , if you use T&L make sure that you have lots of money and are prepared to wait
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

The crank assembly on the G3 I rebuilt last year needed some work. The new drive side axle came from Andrew Engineering, the new big end assembly and drive side main bearings came from the club spares. I took the parts (not the bearings) to T & L Engineering as they were 'just up the road' from where I lived. The cost of dismantling and rebuilding the crankshaft assembly was £109.20 which I didn't think was particularly expensive. The turn around time was less than two weeks which I also thought was acceptable.
crank-1.jpg
crank-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ken de Groome completely rebuilt a member's bottom end just a few weeks ago.........
willowbedone wrote:Sorted collected the engine bottom half today not a bad journey there and back Engine looks pucker Ken has done a very good job He explained camshaft timing and what it does it do if I use g3 or g80 valve timing It's a busy day tomorrow
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I have to agree with Pharisee - £110 is a small price to pay for peace of mind, knowing the job's been done correctly and presumably coming with a warranty, especially when you factor in the cost of the parts that could be ruined by a bodged job.

Pay the money and keep the receipt, (get the engine number referenced on the receipt), the crankshaft work should be good for at least 50,000 miles so the receipt will add value when / if you decide to sell in the future.

Regards Mick
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Will do some phoning around on Monday to see who can do the job (ideally within reasonable driving distance). Will keep you posted -Many thanks all.
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Might be a bit late I've only just seen this forum Ken de-groome is still repairing engines Yes he done my g80 a few weeks ago And done a really good job The price was not bad either If you are still looking for someone to repair yours it's worth giving Ken a call You will not be disappointed
Ian
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

ksj wrote:dave is the bloke to go to send me a PM if you want his number , if you use T&L make sure that you have lots of money and are prepared to wait
Went to Dave Plumb, just near Chester (short drive for me). Defiantly knew his stuff - stripped the crankcase and inspected components while I had a coffee, just in case I needed to order addition items. Everything OK so only needed to replace the damaged drive side axle. All work done within a week, plus he had a good set of hairpin valve springs and new old stock seats which he gave me for a £10. Well chuffed!!!
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Delighted to hear that! Dave is a total gem and I feel very lucky to have such a great shop near to home.
He did a perfect job on my Lightweight crank and was super-helpful when I asked dumb questions when doing my rebuild. :beer:
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS