Classic motorcycle Insurance warning

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Classic motorcycle Insurance warning

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Yesterday I received the latest copy of Jampot in the post.

I enjoyed reading it cover to cover.

The thing that concerned me was one of the adverts in the magazine for a well known classic insurance company. I realise they pay for the advertising and it supports the club, but think it's important to let people know of my experience with them. They also have full page adverts in most of the classic motorcycle/car magazines.

If you read last months Jampot you will have seen 'my story' showing how I was involved in a near fatal motorcycle accident. I only just survived, but the Moto Guzzi 1000 I'd owned for 18 years didn't. I had just rebuilt it prior to that.

About a week after I left intensive care and the hospital, I had to get in touch with the insurance company to start the ball rolling with my non fault claim.

My bike was in a compound where the police took it waiting for the assessor to inspect it.

I had a printed document stating the bike had an agreed value of £2800 at home. It was in black and white. I thought I would just have to wait for the cheque to arrive.

After several phone calls over many weeks, I received a letter saying they were offering me £800. The bike was in very good condition-pretty much immaculate actually.

At the time I was on crutches, undergoing physio and awaiting an operation on my shoulder-I was not well at all and didn't need this to worry about on top of everything else.

It took a solicitor's letter to them to sort this out. Within a week I had received a cheque for the full amount less the excess.

I wanted people to be aware if you take out an 'agreed value' motorcycle policy with this firm in the West Midlands. I'd hate for anyone else to have to fight over the price of their motorbike/car after an accident.

Although they are one of the cheapest, it appears you get what you pay for in this instance.

Keep safe :)

Andy
Last edited by Plugsnpoints on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: Classic motorcycle Insurance warning

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I realise this might get pulled, but the firm is Footman James. Please be aware is all I am saying.

Andy
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Nice one Andy
Good for insurees to know.
It's not always about the cheapest renewal.
I,m with Peter James, not the same company I hope?.
Mike
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Hiya Mike, I hope not as my bikes are insured with Peter James! :D

Andy
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Peter James is the chap who used to own Footman James but sold it. No relation business-wise now I believe.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

In fairness, the incident was almost 15 years ago, I think we should be looking at more recent examples if possible and paying close attention to the small print.

Regards Mick
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

That's a fair point Mick.

Mind you, the last thing I want to do is have to read the small print before I ride my bike, park it away from home or even having it in a locked garage!

I've paid for fully comprehensive insurance after all.

Thanks Lawrence for the heads up about Peter Jones-I'll study the documents now! :geek: I suggest others do the same.

All I wanted was to make people aware of my experience at the worst time.

I don't suppose things have changed that much? Hopefully they have.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Peter James insurance is entirely different. I use them for both car and motorcycle.

I've not had RTA claim but have used their included in all vehicle insurance rescue cover for both car and Matchless (the latter when the Matchless was pulling a trailer in Germany and in Lancashire with the car pulling a caravan!) and it was excellent.

Johnny B