V5 application for bike in bits

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
StewartR_LAPSED

V5 application for bike in bits

Post by StewartR_LAPSED »

Hi,

I just sent the old blue V5 for my dad's 53 16ms to Swansea and they wrote back asking for a pic of the bike as a whole. As it stands it's in 7 different boxes with the frame in bits and has no tinware. There's not massive rush to get it a new reg doc really but does anyone know of a way to do it for an incomplete bike in pieces?
I have the original buff reg doc if that's relevant.
Cheers,
Stewart.
Mick D

Re: V5 application for bike in bits

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Watching this with interest - I've just submitted a V5 to change ownership on a bike that's been off of the road for 20 odd years, I'll report what comes back.
I have a few photos of the bike in one piece but it's in kit form now.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You may find DVLA the bike must be complete. Even back in the 1980's I had a DVLA inspector visit me, my bike was being re built. He said let me know when its complete, I'll come back again then. I was then claiming the original reg. no. based on a few old tax disc's. Even using a tax disc to claim a number is no longer acceptable. I did eventually get the reg. no. back when I still had not got the bike quite complete. The inspector said I can see you fully intend to get the bike on the road. I will arrange for a V5 to be sent to you.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

It souldnt take too long to loosely assemble the bike and take a photo. They only want to see its a real bike. But i have never needed to do it to update a blue V5 before. Old photos should do also(colour, not antique)
StewartR_LAPSED

Here's what I got back.

Don't have the tin for the AJS bit do have enough bits from an old Guzzi 1000sp I could use to fill in the blanks 🤣
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Thanks Stewart

Are you just trying to get a current V5C with change of ownership or are you applying for a registration or the re-instatement of one?

Regards Mick
StewartR_LAPSED

I'd thought it was just change of ownership but they seem to be treating it as more - re-instatement rather than a new reg as they don't seem interested in the original buff log book. They just seem to be verifying that the actual bike matches the logbook, rather than looking for any evidence that the vehicle is legitimate.
I'm not in a massive rush as the current registered keeper is my dad, so I can sort this out when I have a few more bits. I'm not going to assemble the bike just to get the paperwork at the moment.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Ah OK

I was under the impression that if there was a V5 listing the correct registration and the registration was listed on the DVLA website converting to a V5C on change of ownership was just a paperwork exercise, (previous owner and current one complete the relevant portions of the V5 and send off to DVLA - this is what I have done).

I'll wait to see what comes back from Swansea

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

Issue may be about the fact that it is a blue V5. If you remember these were all changed to red V5 because there had been a theft of blue certificates. The normal transfer of ownership with the red V5c when a vehicle is sold does not even require a signed document being posted now. I have just done it online and been told to tear up the old document, no check on vehicle or even much proof i had a right to transfer it.
With the blue V5 a red one should gave been posted at the time of the change. It might be worth checking your father does not have it somewhere.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Clive

In my case I have submitted a V5, (a blue / white document), (note this is the pre 2005? document superseding the buff RF 60 / green VE 60 registration books and preceding the current V5C). As the bike has not been taxed since the nineties a V5C has never been issued.

The change of colour, blue to red, concerned the V5C

Regards Mick