NOT a happy bunny this morning

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Richard Mills

Re: NOT a happy bunny this morning

Post by Richard Mills »

I had a Venhill rear brake cable fail on my Norton Commando. It was brand new and the cable pulled through the nipple on the rear brake lever. I applied the brake whilst centralising the rear brake shoes/backplate and this was the first brake application with that cable. Phoned Venhill and the lady consulted the chap in the workshop who said that he had only ever had one fail before, as if that would have been any consolation if I had had a crash because of it. I pointed out that his failure rate had now doubled. As requested, I returned it for inspection and asked for their comments as to why it had failed; however it was obvious why, there was only a little solder at the end of the cable and then a void. They sent back a replacement but no explanation, but what really annoyed me (and still does) is that there was never a word of apology. It is this absence of any regret on their part for what could have resulted in a very serious accident that still rankles and has spurred me on to write this.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

My twopennorth : your cable end is missing the sleeve part, this locates the cable in the the trunnion, barrel, whatever it's called and stops any tendancy for it to twist out . I think yours has done just that, with the turning effect when you pull the clutch lever the barrel, trunnion has turned round and the small nipple end has fallen out.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Last night I looked closer at the ‘broken' cable nipple and found the barrel from the original, first cable that let go.

The nipple locates firmly in the barrel and when assembled into the lever, making sure the slot is facing forward, then adjusted for correct amount of slack, seems to work as it should! ;)

So if bike is used with cable in this condition, it is possible for the nipple to slip out of the barrel, as Dave T states.

Embarrassing moment, because if I assembled the thing incorrectly as described by Mick D, the sleeve part could have been trashed thus causing the problem with the barrel dropping free.

:oops:

I'm inclined to run the bike around the block a few times and see how she goes. If there's a danger that the lack of sleeve may allow cable to disengage, I'll fit the new spare cable I already have.

Thanks all for your comments and advice. I will contact Gary separately.

Cheers, Steve :)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Expat wrote: If there's a danger that the lack of sleeve may allow cable to disengage, I'll fit the new spare cable I already have.
Hi Steve

Without the sleeve the cable can become disengaged from the barrel, it's less likely with the slot facing forward but still possible - replace the cable, you know it makes sense.

Regards Mick
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Wholly agree with Mick, ain't worth it, replace the cable.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Ok chaps, you convinced me. After a vain attempt to add a sleeve, gave up and fitted the other new one.

Took the opportunity to use the tiniest funnel in the set to oil the cable too. Bit of Gorilla tape around it to seal the small gap and bob's yer fathers brother. Will use it now to lube other cables, pleased to have found a use for it.

Cheers :D
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)